What's up with the Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of new information!

Veg because of scuba diving? Well... Sorta. Sorry, man... I wish I could give you a straight answer, but it's more complex than that.

My diet has always consisted of very few green foods, and heavy on the animal products. I have always been a big consumer of beef, chicken, eggs, cheese, dairy, milk, ice cream, and the like... All of which come from animals. I would estimate that the above foods have historically made up about 80% of my diet.

I have had no significant health problems, although I could stand to lose a few pounds. My muscles are strong, however, and I'm quite burly. Check my avatar.

I have decided to make some changes, however... To a diet that should treat my body better than my previous diet. At first, I was convinced that I needed to cut out animal products completely, and I went a week or two consuming nothing but greens... Broccoli, lettuce, and the like. Dairy and meat were out completely. I did this simultaneous to quitting smoking, and I must admit that it really did some amazing things to curb the craves. I also increased my water intake many times over, to about five liters of water per day.

Now, however, on the recommendation of a friend who's diet advice I trust, I have stabilized myself at 80% greens and 20% other. That 20% other represents sugars and starches (such as pasta and bread) and a little meat here and there. I have restricted that meat intake to only the best stuff... Not for health reasons, but because I want to make the best of my 20%! Broiled chicken, shrimp, fish, crab, and lean beef is on the menu.

I would like to eventually phase meat and "other" out to a very small percentage, and subsist on a diet almost completely composed of greens... Soy sprouts, beans, artichoke, romaine lettuce, broccoli, and the like.

Why?

Well, because I believe the latest health studies which support this diet.

I have also committed myself to a regular exercise program, which consists largely of running... Which is a sport that I absolutely loathe. But nothing has ever affected my body like running. I am not on a regular regimen with this yet, but eventually I will be.

You ask me... "Did you do this specifically for scuba diving?"

Yes.

Is there a better reason?

That's not the complete answer, though... I did it to be in better shape, and I did it so that my body could handle higher stress levels and be more efficient at it's O2 metabolism. I did it (and am doing it) so that I could be a better person (physically) and last longer and live longer and have a richer life. I did it to help slow the aging process. But I have committed myself now rather than later because of the way all of those attributes affect my diving. I want to be able to handle deeper, longer dives with improved fitness. I want to be able to handle diver stress better. I want to be able to swim stronger, dive longer, and dive harder.

Frankly, I have done things for a lot dumber reasons before.

You see, this goes pretty deep... Much deeper than y'all know as of yet. There's hidden motivations here that y'all aren't privy to yet.

When people ask me why I order a plate of uncooked broccoli when my buds are ordering beer and a burger, I simply tell them that I'm in training. Anymore, that seems to be the only way to shut them up. :D

They assume that I'm in "training" for the world record scuba dive that I have planned before the year's end. Sure, that's true... In fact, I quit smoking specifically so that I could spend two weeks underwater without suffering the withdrawl symptoms.

...And those of you who have been following along closely will remember that I told MHK that I'd be doing the 'Doria with him one day. I remember the look on his face. It said, "Sure, man... If that's your goal, then go get 'em." But I don't think he took me that seriously. Mike, I'm gonna be the best buddy you ever had. And I'm gonna dive the 'Doria with you some day.

...But the real reason why I'm doing this is not because of the world record. In fact, that world record is only training for the big event. It's not because of the 'Doria, either. Again, that's just training.

The big event is something that I haven't mentioned yet. I have a lot more to work out, too, before I can disclose that one. That's gonna be one helluvan event.

It's gonna be a world record of scuba world records. And I'm gonna do it. And I'm gonna need a lot of help. No doubt it will simultaneously earn placement in the Guinness Book several times at once.

Why? Becuase I enjoy challenging myself. And I wanna see the look on MHK's face. :D

Here's the clincher... The whole event will be entirely DIR, too. :)

But now is not the time to focus on that event. Now is the time to focus on my body and my skills.

Longraven, tell me your secret.

You are on page 262 of the Guinness Book with the world record for longest scuba related internet posting.

Seajay.... just sing the following...

save a plant, eat a cow,

i want beef, i want it now!

i'm gonna eat it cause it's red!

i'm gonna eat it cause it's dead!

maybe i should eat it raw let the

blood run down my jaw

i'd eat people if it was legal,

i'd eat people if it was legal!

Tyler Durden once bubbled...
must...use...fewer...words...

Sorry, man... Not my style. :D

Funny.

By the way... This has nothing on some of my other posts... In some cases I had to go into "chapters!" Lol...

See, I type at about 160 words a minute, so that post took me around 3 minutes to type up. Why post less? (Just kidding... Don't answer that.)

Sorry, y'all... You don't have to read it if you don't wanna. :(

Perhaps I should consider posting twice to answers like that... One post the real answer, and the other... Well... Like this:

"Yep."

Lol...

Try this.

I am Jack's miserable scrollball. I scroll through SeaJay's posts and wear out Jack's mouse. Jack gets angry and slams me to the floor.

Hurts so much...

SeaJay did you try them with out the springs and regular fin straps I have two sets of fins scuba-pro jet fins and my mares, personally I love my mares.
but can use either seems to me mares easier on legs than jet-fins !!!!!!!!!!

I didn't try them without the spring straps. The fins I purchased had the spring straps already attached.

I think I'm going to purchase a set of next-size-up Jets, commonly known as Turtle fins. Then I'm going to try those with a set of "real" booties (instead of the "sock booties" that I normally wear) and I'll post another review.

Wish me luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom