What's up with the Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what I'm talking about. It looks like yours is a little better than mine, though... It's as if my boot isn't going into the fin quite as far as yours.

...And then, I'm only using a 3mm dive bootie that's of the "sock" variety... It's sole is only a thin layer of rubber... It's not as if it's got any structure to it at all...

There's no way I could get a thicker sole in this fin.

So if I'm gonna try this, it's gonna be with another set of booties (ones with thick soles) and then the next size up Jet Fin, which I understand isn't made... So I'm going to have to opt for the Turtles I think...

I have size 10.5 feet and use Dacor 5mm wetsuit booties (size 11) with my XL jets and 12" FifthD spring straps. They work great except when freediving (as you mention). I still have my blue quattros with homemade spring straps that I plan to use the next time I am freediving...freediving in Bonaire in the jets was less than optimal :)

With a drysuit, I use DUI Rock Boots (size 11) and Turtles, also with the 12" FifthD spring straps.

I have no slop in either configuration and the kicks translate between the two sets of fins perfectly. This combination is totally perfect for me and I have no complaints about either setup.

O-ring, what makes these fins such a great choice for scuba but not for freediving? To me, they just seemed sloppy and nonsensical... Yet I'm sure there's got to be a reason why everyone likes them so much.

Is it the Rock Boots? The drysuit? Is that the ingredient that I was missing?

If so, then I need to reconsider a set of Turtles when I go dry...

They are great because they work better than any other fin ever made. I don't own a dry suit or rock boots, but I always use Jets. I use them when SCUBA or skin diving. I've heard Spring straps are better with a dry suit, but I've never used spring straps (I see no advantage to them), so I don't know for sure.

It is important to have fins that fit. If they don't fit, they will not work well.

SeaJay once bubbled...
O-ring, what makes these fins such a great choice for scuba but not for freediving? To me, they just seemed sloppy and nonsensical... Yet I'm sure there's got to be a reason why everyone likes them so much.

Is it the Rock Boots? The drysuit? Is that the ingredient that I was missing?

If so, then I need to reconsider a set of Turtles when I go dry...
I don't know much about freediving, but it seemed to me like it was a heck of a lot of work to get down to depth with the jets. I think with a full on flutter kick (like I use when freediving and you use in current), they get me winded quicker and I can't get as deep as I can with longer, more flexible fins.

I dunno...I really like my jets with my 5mm wetsuit and wetsuit booties. They fit great! Maybe it is a foot issue? I know one of my buddies has a weird bump on the top of his foot (a bone thing) and has to tape it up or it rubs the fins and hurts him.

SeaJay once bubbled...
And most of all, I can really lay into the Quattros... When it comes time to battle a 4-knot current, I can just pump and go... I just can't do that with the Jets. They're sloppy and holding onto my feet by my toes, bending my ankles in such a way that full power is unbearable, and 3/4ths power is only half the speed of the Quattros... And not fast enough to combat this current.

You're a better man than I am SJ. I don't even want to think about swimming against a 4 knot current. I have been in an estimated 2-3 knot current a couple of times, and I know for a fact I couldnt make much progress swimming against it with any fins, tho the jets did seem to do the best and tire me the least.

I'm going to echo what the others said about the fin not fitting you well. I wear a size 10 1/2 to 11 shoe, and I have three different pairs of booties. One set fits my jets well, one only marginally, and the third pair will not fit my jets at all.

I also tried two different drysuits with them. One had the integrated rubber booties, and they fit the jets pretty good. The other used a drysock and the DUI Rockboots, and they barely fit.

You may look into getting just a neoprene wetsock and trying the fins just with them to see if that allows your foot to get in any further, before tossing your jets.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

You're a better man than I am SJ. I don't even want to think about swimming against a 4 knot current. I have been in an estimated 2-3 knot current a couple of times, and I know for a fact I couldnt make much progress swimming against it with any fins, tho the jets did seem to do the best and tire me the least.
[

Well, to be honest, it's not something that I can sustain for long... On this particular day I jumped in, knowing that there was a good chance that I was going to get swept downstream. But like I said, there's docks downstream, so it wasn't a big deal.

But as I got in, I noticed that there was a line on the dock, ready to tie a boat off to... It was about 6' long, and the other end of it was permenantly moored to the dock. I threw it in, just to have something to hold onto. A couple of times, I grabbed it, too, to have something to hold onto while I adjusted something on my fins or whatever... And when I did this, my body planed the water in such a way as to cause a wake... That's how fast that current was going! If I had turned my head sideways, no doubt my mask would have been ripped from my face...

And no offense meant to DIR... I love the stuff. But in these conditions, BFK's stuck in the bottom and completely prone bodies, as well as a long-legged, from-the-hip flutter kick is in order. A diver does not think about bent knees or frog kicks in this situation.

My point is that I want BOTH skills... I want to be able to hover perfectly and do frogs and helicopters and never stir the bottom, and I want to be able to dive in fast, zero vis waters for megladon teeth.

Of course I eventually got swept downstream... And of course, I got out at a neighbor's dock. But the longer I was able to sustain, the longer I was able to prolong my dive.

Maybe I should teach "DIR-FC" classes... "Doing it right in fast currents."

The truth, I think, is that there's also a big difference between what y'all are diving... Doubles in a dry suit... Than what I'm diving... A single in a wetsuit. No doubt there's a big difference, too, in the amount of current you can handle in the prone position when you're diving a skin-tight wetsuit, a single AL80, and a pair of long fins...

I'm going to echo what the others said about the fin not fitting you well. I wear a size 10 1/2 to 11 shoe, and I have three different pairs of booties. One set fits my jets well, one only marginally, and the third pair will not fit my jets at all.

Now that's interesting. So there's some truth to the idea that it takes the right booties... That's the problem, I'm sure.

You may look into getting just a neoprene wetsock and trying the fins just with them to see if that allows your foot to get in any further, before tossing your jets.

That's exactly what I am using... A wetsock with a very thin sole. I think that's part of the problem. See, the fins DO fit me right now with that thin sock, which isn't doing anything in terms of holding the fin in place properly. I believe that if I were to get the next size up in fin, and add a pair of hard-soled booties, that my experience would be very different.

Whatever the case, these are not the right fins for me. I think I need to retry them in a larger size, with a different bootie.

So yes, these particular ones are still on their way "out." Looks like someone here is interested in them... Which would be great... I feel guilty not using these fins! They've got lots of potential, they're just no good for what I'm looking for...

I know exactly how you feel. My wife bought US Divers Rocket Fins and replaced the straps with springs straps. She was trying to get used to them for the DIRF class. The first time i tried them out was in San Clemente island and there was a ripping current. After diving several years with a pair of BioFins, I thought I was going to die underwater! The fins were simply too stiff. I got rid of my Quatro because of the sane reason. I learned to despise the Rocket Fins. When it was time for me to take the DIRF, I purchased a size Large Jetfins. I wear a DUI drysuit with size 7 rockboots and my booted feet fit snugly in them. I had to spray silicon periodically into the fin pocket for easy replacement. I also drilled drain holes on the bottom of the pocket to alleviate the hydro lock that occurs when my feet are in them. I ordered the 12" spring straps from Fifth Dimension had them installed. I tell you that I was leary of using them because I was afraid that I would have the same result as the Rocket fins in San Clemente. After diving with it a couple of times, I got the hang of it. My leg muscles eventually got used to it and now, I wouldn't trade it for any fins. My wife and I are going to Fiji in a couple of weeks, so I tried my old booties, 5mm highcut, with the jetfins and spring straps and they fit.

I think your problem is with the correct size of the spring straps (you said that the fins fit sloppy). What you could do is go to a dive shop and try a smaller or larger size jetfins and see which size fits. Then call Fifth Dimension and ask them what size spring straps you would need. Don't give up, yet.

Good Luck.

:eek:ut:

jonscubas once bubbled...
I could be wrong.

Actually he's saying they are sized just right, but they fit horrible. (I know that doesn't make any sense to me either, but remember it's SeaJay talking.

longraven we could tell him your secret, but I'm not sure he deserves to know.

~<//><

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom