What's the water like in Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kawasakign

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a diving getaway this month someplace in the cont. US. (free flight I need to use up). Always hear great things about the wrecks and sand tigers off NC. Was wondering what the water was like around NC right now. Dive-able? Are their charters running? I'm looking at not diving dry if possible ( I do that enough in the Chicago area). Any suggestions?

I went out Sunday (Jan 4) with Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington to the Rosin Wreck. 40 miles off shore water was about 63 degrees. Seas were less than one foot.

Suggestions for wrecks depends on what kind of depths you are comfortable with.

Offshore (where the most popular wrecks are) will be in the low to high 60's. Inshore will be in the 50's.

Weather patterns in the winter mean that you can't dive on a lot of days (wind and waves). Winter diving can be great when it works out.

Charter schedules are spotty this time of year. Most charters would love the chance to run a trip, but the interest just isn't there to run on a regular basis. Your best bet, if you decide to take a chance, is to find a charter with a trip already scheduled. Most ops post a schedule of some sort on their website.

I am scheduled for a charter next weekend with Olympus Dive Center. Saturday is hopefully, weather permitting, going to spent on the U-352. Sunday is scheduled for other "interesting" wrecks in the area. I don't know if there are any seats left on the boat, you should call if that is what you are looking for.

Hi there!

Yes we do have spaces available for this weekend. Give us a call for more information!!

The offshore water temperatures are in the mid 60's in January. There usually isn't much difference from the surface and bottom temperatures. The offshore depths are usually 110 - 120 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom