Whats the stupidest Dive gadget you've seen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second that on the UW laser pointers. Not good for anything UW, and mine died in short order.

The 5 ft long LP hose is the stupidest item I have ever seen. It is 2 feet too short for actual technical penetration applications, and 2 feet too long for safe, comfortable use in general non-technical open water applications. It is a classic example of what happens inside of an inflexible, absolutist training organization.

NAUI beware, if the association executive management impose stringent gear requirements on its own technical instructors, then NAUI will become just like the aforementioned unmentioned dinosaur agency! And that in the end will accomplish little other than driving off instructors and students towards IANTD, ANDI, and TDI etc. Smart move, huh??

How about that scooter that mounts on you tank with the 2 big handle bar type tyings that hang down in front of you with the throttle. It's always in the back of all the mags. Looks kind of like some sort of underwater jetback thing out of a bad SciFi movie.

Scary thing is I actually saw a couple of divers using these things!!!

I'll echo the 5 foot hose, unless you have a really small frame. But for me the biggie (and I know I'll take some heat for this) is the purge mask. They add a big failure point to a simple peice of equipment to solve a problem either a little practice or a better fitting mask will cure.

James

Damselfish:
Second that on the UW laser pointers. Not good for anything UW, and mine died in short order.

Now now, some of these aren't so bad at all. You need to get a model with a higher wavelength red light than is found in most commercial models. And those crummy plastic pointers are junk. I have a VERY NICE metal laser pointer from some company in France that works decently in clear water, and is significantly brighter.

The future of laser pointers (everywhere) will be with green wavelengths. The human eye is most attuned to this color, and it's a decently high wavelength to penetrate water better. Right now green laser pointers cost bloody fortune (a few hundred bucks EACH!), but eventually they'll get cheap and make an underwater model... I hope.

I don’t know if you would call it a gadget but there is nothing worse what dive flag Speedo’s. They are only made to fix a select few people.

PS just cause they make it in your size doesn’t mean you have to wear it!

the rear vision mirror for the mask.

It clips on the top and has a 6 inch arm with a 2 x 1 mirror on it.

James Goddard:
for me the biggie (and I know I'll take some heat for this) is the purge mask. James

Same can be said of a purge valve on a snorkel. It becomes even sillier with a 'splash-guard'. Cripes, what should be a simple tube with a mouthpiece is the size and profile of a ship's rudder.

NO, I do NOT use a snorkel.

chantana:
I saw a weird diver necklace once. It has a diver with his arms above his head like he's going to dive in head first with a tank on. I can't think of any time that you would be in this position in or out of the water.

I wonder if he could be giving the big "Okay" sign.
I like laser pointers too. Their good for aiming things like strobes. I'm not too big on titanium regs though.

Buccaneer:
This doesn't really qualify as a "gadget", but it got me thinking, Ill bet some stupid stuff has been invented to sucker us out of our hard earned diving dollars. Anyways i saw this dive sticker for sale that really irked me: It was a green and yellow dive flag (like that even exhists anyways!) w/ the phrase "Nitrox divers do it deeper!" My first reaction was "No, actually they don't!" and then I thought of the safety ramifications of that statement. granted, no one is going to take Nitrox deep because of a bumper sticker- but who the hell buys this crap?? Anyone Nitrox certed has got to see the huge misconception, and why be proud to say you dive enriched air anyways. Where i come from we call it "Old man gas"!

The elastic cord/ plastic ball "tank banger" signaling device gets my vote. I got one when I first got certified, and very quickly learned that I couldn't hear it, let alone my dive partner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom