Whats the stupidest Dive gadget you've seen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This doesn't really qualify as a "gadget", but it got me thinking, Ill bet some stupid stuff has been invented to sucker us out of our hard earned diving dollars. Anyways i saw this dive sticker for sale that really irked me: It was a green and yellow dive flag (like that even exhists anyways!) w/ the phrase "Nitrox divers do it deeper!" My first reaction was "No, actually they don't!" and then I thought of the safety ramifications of that statement. granted, no one is going to take Nitrox deep because of a bumper sticker- but who the hell buys this crap?? Anyone Nitrox certed has got to see the huge misconception, and why be proud to say you dive enriched air anyways. Where i come from we call it "Old man gas"!

chock one up for the dual manifold doubles spare air

I saw a weird diver necklace once. It has a diver with his arms above his head like he's going to dive in head first with a tank on. I can't think of any time that you would be in this position in or out of the water.

chantana:
I saw a weird diver necklace once. It has a diver with his arms above his head like he's going to dive in head first with a tank on. I can't think of any time that you would be in this position in or out of the water.
This is exactly how the DM on my recent dives in Pompano, FL entered the water holding the end of the line to attach to the wreck we were about to dive.

The only necklace he wore was his spare reg. I have no idea whether he posed for the jewelry maker.

-Rob

How about "nitrox divers do it longer" :eyebrow: :rofl:

Maybe the necklace was supposed to be a diver surfacing.. I think that was one of those things that you learn in SCUBA training.. but wo remebers that stff anyways...?

Saw something a few years ago that just about took the cake...guy invented this "diver's chair" - actually looked more like a swing. TRY to picture this...diver in full gear sitting in a swing, two lines going up to what looked like a 50 gal drum. Under the chair was a water proof box that had a car battery and some kind of electric motor with a prop sticking out facing backwards. Also had a small air tank that allowed you to turn a valve to put air into the drum to control bouyancy....the diver would sit in the swing, control his bouyancy with the air tank and dump valve on the drum and motor along under power from the electric motor...I dunno...all I ever saw was the drawing, but the guy claimed he was going to put it into production.

I am seeing someone buy this, dump the air cause they wanted to go deep and getting crushed by this dive drum BC thing cause they can't get air back into it fast enough. LOL Or wait wait... better yet, they get to much air into cause they are sinking to fast and rocket toward the surface with ever expanding air in a 55 gallon drum reach exit velocity and go rocketing out of the water and come flying over the top of the drum crashing back down into it.... Hmmmm I see a Darwin award in someone's future.

river rat:
Saw something a few years ago that just about took the cake...guy invented this "diver's chair" - actually looked more like a swing. TRY to picture this...diver in full gear sitting in a swing, two lines going up to what looked like a 50 gal drum. Under the chair was a water proof box that had a car battery and some kind of electric motor with a prop sticking out facing backwards. Also had a small air tank that allowed you to turn a valve to put air into the drum to control bouyancy....the diver would sit in the swing, control his bouyancy with the air tank and dump valve on the drum and motor along under power from the electric motor...I dunno...all I ever saw was the drawing, but the guy claimed he was going to put it into production.

Granted, I was suckered by this'un and even tried it until a good bounce on a boat deck killed it.

Think of it ... laser pointers work good in board meetings, etc because you have a nice flat white reflective surface.

About the ONLY thing I could point at that someone else could spot UW was a reflective decal on someone's tank or gear, maybe a fin.

Try pointing a laser at jagged rock, coral, even sand ... nada ... unless by rare chance you could follow my hand pointing in the general direction.

Still, if the dive boat captain was one of those that kept a dog on-board ... let the surface interval antics begin. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom