What's the NC diving like and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We were thinking of doing some wreck diving off NC next summer but were wanting to learn more about the diving there.

How does it compare to Florida Keys, Hawaii or Caribbean?

Since my two teenagers would be diving as well and I am wondering if the currents are strong, visibility, etc. They are SSI open water certified with about 28 - 30 dives completed mostly in the caribbean.

What's water temp, current like ,etc.

Also, my husband dives with them and I usually just ride along on the boat but if the waves are rough, sea sickness can be an issue. How calm is the ocean diving there?

Thanks.

How does it compare to Florida Keys, Hawaii or Caribbean?

As a dive operator running out of Morehead City, I will happily tell you we have some of the best diving in the world, no question. But nothing about it can be compared to the Carribean, Keys or Hawaii, except that all 4 places have salt water.

I will leave it up to the others on the forum to elaborate, but in a nutshell, yes we have long bumpy boat rides, sometimes we have stiff currents, and most of our good dive sites are over 100' deep. It is diving for the competent and experienced diver.

Having said that, if you are up for it, it can be incredible.

I just did my first NC dives yesterday and compared to the Caribbean (Bonaire, Bahamas and Jamaica), there are tons more fish in NC. I loved it, but it's definitely for the serious diver--it's totally amazing. I am convert and didn't even have great conditions (much better than New England, but not awesome for here so I was told). The boat rides are too long (and expensive) for you to just go for the fun of it--it would be at least 6 hrs or more for a non-diver on a boat and it probably wouldn't be all that fun--the sites are too deep for snorkeling. Water can get pretty choppy because you are going so far out. Your kids and husband should definitely be AOW before diving NC--the wrecks are deep and they need to have an appreciation for wreck diving (i.e. don't go inside unless you know what you are doing).

The diving I've experienced in NC is much different than Hawaii and Carribean. The colorful coral isn't there, there are typically currents, the boat ride is long and choppy, conditions can change in about 10 minutes, etc.

With that said, the wrecks are AMAZING, the fish are BIG, and the sand tiger sharks are pretty incredible. We dove a 400+ foot cable liner, a German U-Boat that was sunk during the big one, and a couple other cool boats. Temps were in the high 70's (most people dove with a 3mm), vis was between 50 and 90 depending on the day and the site. Depths were usually 90+ to hit the tops of the wrecks.

Overall it was great... I didn't get as many good pictures as I did on my carribean diving, but the experience was more memorable and much more unique.

I love the diving off of NC. If you're at Hatteras and South you're in the Gulf Stream. The water is warm and vis is typically good. Also there tend to be a lot of fish on the wreck as well as some sharks.

On my first dive out there we went to the U-352 and I remember kneeling in the sand and 112fsw, looking up and seeing the guys standing on the boat. I think was the water was a chilly 82F.

Like any diving, the vis can be awesome to marginal and the current can be none to 'I lost my mask'.

Most of the diving is deep diving, 100fsw and a lot of the good dive sites are a long ride 2-3hrs off shore.

You want to make sure your skills (both physical and mental) and equipment are ready for that type of diving.

The dive operators out of NC tend to be hands off. Meaning they are going to answer your questions, if you have any, and they are going to give you a good dive briefing of the site. They typically aren't going to guide you. When you are done, they are going to help you get back on the boat and get your gear secure (meaning that it isn't going to get knocked over while under way).

You will see some awesome wild life out there.

The diving in the NC does not compare to Florida or Caribbean. The fish are similar, but FL and the Caribbean have natural reefs while NC is deeper artificial reefs. The flip side is you have large concentrations of fish on the artificial reefs.

Attachments

• OBX May 2008 052.jpg
    OBX May 2008 052.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 121
THere is no comparison in the diving.

NC is very good and very advanced. The Caribbean is like a bathtub in comparison.

OW divers really shouldn't be going out on most of the NC dive sites.

I will add that I just did my first dives off NC coast with Discovery Dive Center this June (2009) and it was AWESOME. Definitely long boat rides out but soooo worth it.

The wreck diving was incredible. Super.

Condition wise it started out perfect and became less than perfect as the long weekend wore along. Flat, calm seas with mild current became 3 to 4 ft. seas with occasional 8 ft. swells and a nice surface current. A lot of people got either mild sea sickness or pretty good cases of it towards the end. Dramamine is your friend.

It's deep wreck diving in a rapidly changing environment since you're so far out.

Some pictures .... N Carolina June 2009 - a set on Flickr

I'll leave you with this though... one of the main reasons I went...

YouTube - Sand Tiger Sharks on the Spar wreck off Beaufort, NC

[hijack] you were here & didn't come visit?? [/hijack]

yes, what they all said. also, come do some research at ncdivers.com. there's a great thread about diving off a commercial boat in nc. i'm pretty sure it's a sticky, so it should be easy to find.

Dave, I still love that video and thanks for sharing your pictures. Loved divi8ng with you this summer. What ever happend to my BBQ sauce?

To reiterate what Dave and the others have said, the diving is awesome. World class wrecks, German U-boats, sand tiger sharks, incredible life. Great boats, charters, and crews. It's not for the inexperienced casual vacation diver. The boat rides aren't a pleasure cruise. The diving is worth it if you've got the skill and experience.

Have you dove the Speigel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Eagle, or Thunderbolt in the Keys? If you have then IMHO NC diving is another step beyond that.

AL

Have you dove the Speigel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Eagle, or Thunderbolt in the Keys? If you have then IMHO NC diving is another step beyond that.

It may be tough to top the Duane! It sit upright, has a lot of life on it, 130 to the sand and 70 to the upper decks! That is a big one there!

Didn't care for the Bibb. Eagle was pretty cool! Especially with those Goliath Groupers there! It is also a natural wreck.

What is Thunderbolt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom