What's the NC diving like and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if I agree that NC is all that "tough" to dive, although I do agree the toughest part can be the ride out. I think the biggest mistake people make (including ME, BTW, LOL) is realizing that you WILL get seasick at some point. TAKE THE PILL!

Most dive operators (including James on this thread - righteous dude with a GREAT boat and operation, BTW) are well set-up, no BS kinda guys. Morehead has the most choices, followed by Wilmington and then Hatteras. Wilmington has the best alternatives in terms of non-diving stuff, restaurants, pubs, etc., plus it's a GREAT little city.

BUT Hatteras, IMHO, still has the best dives for the adventure and it's got BEACH...

From Morehead on board Tortuga Charters:

[vimeo]4367065[/vimeo]

From Wilmington on board Aquatic Safaris (sorry for poor quality, my first video):

And, of course, Hatteras on board Under Pressure with Capt JT:

[vimeo]5812729[/vimeo]

[vimeo]6156158[/vimeo]

ENJOY!

Last year I had a chance to dive in Florida (west cost), Grand Cayman and Nassau. I ended each one thinking how great NC diving is in comparison. The dive sites here are supurb and the boatride is an added plus in my book. To dive these historic wrecks is quite an experience. I was disappointed at Nassau when we motored out for 10 minutes and hit the water. I like the 30 mile runs out. You can't go wrong diving out of Beaufort or Morehead. Don't expect a guide unless you arrange it up front and AOW is recommended and on some boats required.

Last year I had a chance to dive in Florida (west cost), Grand Cayman and Nassau. I ended each one thinking how great NC diving is in comparison.

Amen. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced the best of NC diving, but I agree 100%.

One analogy I like is that diving in the tropics is like going to the Zoo while diving in NC is like being on Safari.

It does help to enjoy boat rides :)

Love the analogy in the above post. so true. Diving at Hatteras makes me feel like a diver instead of a tourist! I love Caribbean diving. I go at least twice a year nad to Key Largo once a year. But I wouldn't miss my Hatteras trips. Amazing fish. Love the long boat ride and surface interval. Love the staff at Outer Banks Diving.

Amen. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced the best of NC diving, but I agree 100%.

One analogy I like is that diving in the tropics is like going to the Zoo while diving in NC is like being on Safari.

It does help to enjoy boat rides :)

:D that descripton sorta reminds me of diving Calif. I tell people it isn't for everyone, long boat rides, no DM guide, and cold water with current and surge and maybe 40' vis on a good day, but if you can get past that it is some of the best diving in the world. It makes me crazy when divers complain about poor vis or no DM to hold your hand...:( People who dive nothing but the Caribbean tend to whine alot about the silliest things. Divers in Calif are much more self-sufficient and enjoy their dives more for that reason. I am sure the NC divers are the same way. Can't wait to get out there!

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom