What's the most unpopular benign/non-polarizing opinion you hold re: diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me too. I would rather cover a hundred feet quite well than a cursory 1000 ft. Flamingo tongues and baby Queen Conchs are my faves to find.

Ooh, I haven't seen a baby Queen Conch on a dive yet...but now I see that diving with you as soon as I get the chance will be awesome!

They are the homeliest creatures on the reef and many people pass them by as just being moss covered rocks. But turn them over and they are the most beautiful pink on the earth.

They are the homeliest creatures on the reef and many people pass them by as just being moss covered rocks. But turn them over and they are the most beautiful pink on the earth.

This is of course where you & I disagree. I have a no touch rule! But I'll let it slide this time cause this is the benign non-polarizing thread. :wink:

It's just a personal preference - a gas that suits my requirements. I travel a lot to some pretty remote places where you have no choice but to dive air. There have been places where a particular dive - Tipuata Pass - for example where without a top notch gas blending station I'd be concerned about the % and logistics, and the bottom depth of 50m is well within air diving limits, and well within my CMAS certification. Other dive spots - Batu Gosoh for example, I've experienced a scarily savage down current - and upwellings - Air again is the most suitable gas for me. Also not convinced of the miracle effects some people say they feel - good, great for them, dive your heart out ... I'm not going to start telling you you may simply be paying more for a placebo effect and that you MUST try air. I'm just going to enjoy diving my way and hope you enjoy your diving. Yes, of course I could do Trimex but hey, good luck finding Nitrox in Madagascar let alone Trimex. As far as LOBs go, sometimes doing every dive isn't the totality of the exercise for me. I miss a dive (usually the early morning dive - I'm a night owl) I'm not wasting money or not being up to the task - it's not a competive sport.

Im a Sailor. I've been sailing for decades, from Tall Ships to Racing Maxis. At sea sometimes I just want to be alone. Hard to do with a LOB crew and a boastful of divers. So the do more dives on nitrox argument isn't one that applies to me either - Open ocean is my own private Idaho :)

I'm often found at 2am sitting in darkness on the deck or in the wheelhouse just staring at the Nav equiipment and staring out at the stars - I'm happy, leave me be lol

I have a no touch rule!
I won't harass or damage wildlife, but I love to touch if it's not in a SPA (Special Protected Area). The smooth bottom and color of the Queen Conch is really cool. You just can't experience that without picking it up. I put them right back where I found them too. The bazillion legs of a sand dollar have their own allure and of course, I love to touch sponges. Unless I'm working in a coral nursery, I won't touch corals because that can stress them quite a bit. I've seen the pendulum swing from a complete disregard of our ocean friends to something I don't quite agree with. I'm in the middle here. Be gentle. Be careful to not touch the wrong things (both for you and the organism).

Agree with "usually" do not touch. Now I have come up to the ladder and found a moon jelly or two in my way and will gently place my hand on the top side and slowly push them away. I will pick up a hard shelled creature sometimes to check it out and carefully replace. I have tried to catch a slipper lobster or two by hand. I have pushed some sea weed/algae to the side to try and get a better view/picture of a creature behind/under it.

I've been there twice (Hurgada and Massala): it's wonderful!!
...unfortunately, back in the days I wasn't diving, but only snorkelling/freediving :(

The walls around Brothers are completely covered in sea fans down to about 100 or so feet. There's still another 100 feet of wall below you, and the water's so clear you can see quite well all the way to the bottom ... it's one of the most amazing places I've ever been diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sometimes floating and doing nothing is the best dive ever.

Until you realize an hour later that you are all alone, no boat or land visible in the horizon, basically you are lost at sea.

Back
Top Bottom