What's the most unpopular benign/non-polarizing opinion you hold re: diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's no need to dive salt water when I've got more than enough wrecks within a day's drive (or a bit more).

Related is: I'm not interested in pretty fishies or coral.

Also related: I like diving cold(er) water.

Definitely unpopular. The warm, salt water only folks all think I'm crazy. :rofl3:

But the non-divers agree with me that it's good that "there's nothing in there [Great Lakes] that can eat me." :D
The Fox and the Grapes - Wikipedia

:D :D :p

I think I share the same feeling.... I love it all!!! Long flights, airline/airport food, overnights, domestic flights with hot landings, long drives with constant honking - swerving - braking, putting my camera/kit together, taking it apart... Hearing/Telling the same stories over and over again, diving with crappy divers, crazy currents, waiting for your gear to dry (while it rains because it always rains on the last day) so you can pack it up again! I even love the safety stop!!

Maybe after 1000 dives and overseas trips I will be as jaded as you. For now, I really do get a weird sense of satisfaction from all that--to me, it's just part of being a diver. When things try my patience, I actually kind of enjoy commiserating with my dive/travel companions. We soldier on together, and laugh about it later.

Some random thoughts on the subject ...
  • The best way to learn buoyancy control is to do nothing. My old mentor, Uncle Pug, used to take me down to 20 feet or so and we would just sit there, hovering for minutes on end ... until I learned how to maintain my position without twitching a muscle. It was harder than you might think, but once I learned buoyancy control while being stationary, it became so much easier to manage while moving.
  • Multiple dives ... most I've ever done on a liveaboard was five ... that was in Komodo. Most I've ever done shore diving was seven ... that was local (Puget Sound) ... started at 7 am and finished around 9:30 pm. I'm older now, and doubt I could do it today (even if I wanted to, which I don't). But it sure was fun at the time.
  • I enjoy wrecks. I love caves. But what I really like is marine life ... especially seeing something I've never seen before. The little stuff is especially fascinating. I like slugs more than sharks.
  • I love traveling to exotic places ... but love my local diving just as much. As long as I'm underwater, I AM where I wanted to go.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My favorite things on a reef are the sea fans. Fishes and other animals are nice touches, but not that important to me. Really, what I prefer, is just admiring the sea fans (and other soft corals) gently waving with the sea. I could stay long minutes unmoving, floating around, just watching those.

My favorite things on a reef are the sea fans. Fishes and other animals are nice touches, but not that important to me. Really, what I prefer, is just admiring the sea fans (and other soft corals) gently waving with the sea. I could stay long minutes unmoving, floating around, just watching those.

If you haven't been there, you really should go to the Red Sea ... particularly to the Brothers ...

IMG_6671.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe after 1000 dives and overseas trips I will be as jaded as you. For now, I really do get a weird sense of satisfaction from all that--to me, it's just part of being a diver. When things try my patience, I actually kind of enjoy commiserating with my dive/travel companions. We soldier on together, and laugh about it later.
Jaded?? Maybe you misunderstood or I misunderstood what you were trying to say... I was trying to agree with you?... Everything I have lived through is just part of the incredible wonderful experience I call life!! If we stress about the things we cannot change life is no fun!! I love every minute of my dive travel and love laughing about all that went wrong with fellow travelers(which are the stories we tell over and over again). I don't feel jaded at all, just very thankful. I am so addicted to diving and travel that I am always planning my next adventure.

If it was easy to travel to far off places, there would be way too many people off the beaten path!

Last edited:
Jaded?? Maybe you misunderstood or I misunderstood what you were trying to say... I was trying to agree with you?... Everything I have lived through is just part of the incredible wonderful experience I call life!! If we stress about the things we cannot change life is no fun!! I love every minute of my dive travel and love laughing about all that went wrong with fellow travelers(which are the stories we tell over and over again). I don't feel jaded at all, just very thankful. I am so addicted to diving and travel that I am always planning my next adventure.

If it was easy to travel to far off places, there would be way too many people off the beaten path!

I'm sorry! I thought you were being facetious. I mean, even I don't really enjoy "long drives with constant honking," etc.

I'm sorry! I thought you were being facetious. I mean, even I don't really enjoy "long drives with constant honking," etc.
What???? .... we play a game to see who can find the scooter with the most riders!! Goats, dogs, poultry and pigs don't count!! Seriously though, my husband goes right to sleep. I just love to people watch.

Back
Top Bottom