What's the most intimidating dive you've done or thing that happened to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depended on the emergency. Sometimes, sloppily stowed equipment would "disappear", then the instructor would signal a failure that required its use. Most times they would signal the type of failure they wanted, but my trimix instructor did sneak behind us and occasionally shut down a valve ... sometimes while you're occupied doing something else he just told you to do. Sometimes it was the post you were breathing, but more often it would be the left post, to simulate a roll-off ... then he'd call for an OOA to see how you handled it. It's valid at that level ... if you're prone to panic over such a thing it's far better to find it out during a shallow drill than a deep real-life circumstance, and it will wash you out of the class immediately, as it should.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was harassed during my OW pool cert dive. Was told to get down to acclimatize and relax, then got my mask and reg pulled off, and recovered OK. After doffing and surfacing, when I got back down, I found my valve closed. Anyway, I survived and learned that there is usually enough time to deal with issues.
Few months and dives later, I got involved in a harbour clean up dive.60+ divers on a 40x20m. Vis was OK until we got to the bottom, and then I couldn't see my outstretched arm. And as it usually happens, in a minute or so, I got kicked by someone's fin, reg out, mask dislodged. Again, I recovered, but foul taste and eyes burning remained for the rest a dive from all the nice stuff underwater.
Looking back at it, I didn't even think about it, just went through the drills and continued the dive. If there was no "harassment" I'm not so sure I would be so calm considering my more than limited experience.

Reactions: mdb
They don't teach that way anymore, so now divers have to discover this Sudden High Intensity Training on their own on how to deal with those types of situations and the subsequent emotions behind it.
You did very well and I'm sure you would have been a model student back in the big bad old days of totally non PC draconian training.
Thanks very much for the kind words.

Sudden High Intensity Training, huh? Yeah, that's a pretty accurate description of my view of the situation at the time, alright! :D

Reactions: mdb
I was very fortunate to have a great PADI instructor who developed his AOW curriculum around the tutored harassment. A pool dive jumping in gear in hand and putting your tank, reg, weights on UW and making a controlled ascent. A nice open water dive off La Jolla Cove with mask ripped off from the rear, air turned off, again under good supervision. Served me well later.

I was working on an urchin boat about 40 years ago off San Clemente Island, California. When i was young, dumb etc etc...

The work boat was a true patched together POS that had two props with long exposed shafts powered by temperamental gas twin v-8s. A storm blew up during the night and the anchor dragged - a lot. The boat was rocking up and down in growing swells and getting quite close to the surfline. While trying to get the anchor up (always caught tons of kelp) the starboard engine died. The one working engine was just enough to maintain our rather precarious position. In short order we figured out that the anchor line had wrapped around the starboard engine's shaft, causing it to stall.

I had to go under the hull with my personal scuba (we usually picked urchins with hookah but I didn't want another line in the water.) I had to hang on with one hand and cut the anchor line with a knife with the other, which was tough as heck while the other shaft/prop are running nearby and entire boat is going up and down violently. Took a long time while the bottom got closer and closer and the rocking got bigger. Kept thinking about getting chopped up by the one running prop. Also figured i could body-surf to shore as a last resort and be rescued by the Navy.

Did it but didn't like it. Recovered the anchor and got second engine running and scooted to a safe part of NW harbor.

Overall, though, that was a great time in my life. A great island to spend so much time diving on.

Years ago, I was giving a friend a private OW certification. Just he and I. We were sitting in a spring in 20 feet or so, on a log and i asked him for his octopus, which he gave me and I began to use. We are sitting side by side, looking around.

So I slooowly slip my arm behind him and start to gently turn off his tank valve. We are sipping air and I screw down just enough that there is no restriction, but maybe 3/4 turn more is completely off. Then I time his breathing cycle and turn the valve off just about half way through his inhalation. He feels no restriction because there is air in the regaultor, then I immediately suck super hard and ensure that I have completely drained the regulator of all air and then I hold my breath.

So now I am watching him carefully (he is not yet certified). I see him exhale and then suck and get nothing, suck again, then I seem him press the purge button (and get nothing) then he makes some weird head motions and tries to suck even more!!! All the while, I have my hand on the tank valve...

This goes on for a while..Finally he turns his head and looks at me with a frantic look on his face. Still he does not signal out of air or "buddy breath". It's been a while now since he exhaled... I am enjoying the crap out of this (of course it is easy to hold your breath if your lungs are full and you are prepared)... and then I just crank open the valve and he sucks a big breathe in.. and I exhale a huge laugh. He turns and flips me the bird and then notices my hand on his valve.

I would not do it in a normal scuba class, but he was a very good student and when we went up, I felt like he had a very good reminder that the air may stop at any time... so you better be prepared to do something immediately.. Continuing to suck on a non-functioning regulator, refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem, failing to signal for help ... is NOT a solution.. LOL

Has anybody here been intimidated by any barracudas?

... it was 2005 and I had just gotten my first underwater camera a week before we left for Bonaire. In fact, it was a ScubaBoard trip. We were doing a boat dive at LaDania's Leap ... and I wanted to take pictures of everything. So as we approached the boat at the end of the dive there was this large barracuda hanging out underneath the boat. I slowly crept up on it, getting as close as I dared for a picture. Got the shot, turned around to tell Cheng we could get on the boat now, and she wasn't there. Looking up I saw her climbing up the ladder. I guess she figured that if I was dumb enough to swim toward a large 'cuda, I was on my own.

It wasn't a very good picture ... I've learned a lot since then, both about photography and about approaching fish with big teeth ...

926 101.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You have also taught a fair number or us a lot too :)

I learned an important lesson on that dive ... don't be the last "toy" out of the water. As we were surfacing I got gang tackled by at least a dozen of them. They literally pushed me back to the bottom ... from about 8 feet depth to about 50 feet. I found a little rock ledge to duck and cover, protecting my camera as best I could, and just went completely still. After about 10-15 seconds they decided I wasn't much fun anymore and went off to find somebody more interesting to play with (each other, most likely). Gotta admire their enthusiasm ... but it wasn't intimidating, just like playing with a pack of large puppies ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's what you get for having the best SAC rate for those of us diving open circuit! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom