What's the latest on Fonatur parking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since I've never seen it, other than under construction, I was thinking about driving over to the new marina for my first day of diving on my next trip. Ya know, just to take a gander at it, and take my time getting set up on the boat. But then I came across the threads about the parking situation from last year and was wondering if anything had changed. Am I going to regret trying to get in there with a rental car in September? Or did they get that mess sorted out?

Basically the lot that was cleared for the world Tri Athlon finals in 2016 and was subsequently used for parking has been closed and fenced off. There is parking along the road between the guard shack and the circle, around the circle and the side road heading north from the circle. So far I have not seen them run out of parking on the side road and if necessary there is a network of roads in the unfinished development area to the north.. The farthest I have seen cars park to the boat ramp is about an 1/8 of a mile.

Since I've never seen it, other than under construction, I was thinking about driving over to the new marina for my first day of diving on my next trip. Ya know, just to take a gander at it, and take my time getting set up on the boat. But then I came across the threads about the parking situation from last year and was wondering if anything had changed. Am I going to regret trying to get in there with a rental car in September? Or did they get that mess sorted out?
It might be a better idea to take a taxi.

It’s definitely not as convenient as it was when the lot was open. It’s very manageable. Using an Op with an early departure time has a big advantage! We went on a Cielo trip that departed at 10, it was a bit of a hike.

Thanks all. My first day of diving is afternoon, after that all mornings. I'm in a southern hotel with pier pickup so I think I'll just skip the marina grand tour for the first day. Appreciate everyone's experience.

Afternoon should be good as all the morning divers will clear out with their cars. We leave on a 7:30 boat and typically find parking on the main road or circle. One time we parked our ISIS rental on the south side of the road where you back in along all the trees and swamp area there. Came back after our dive and someone who backed our backed into our bug hard enough to push it back a few feet. Only thing that saved it from going into the water back there was a big tree that put a dent in the back bumper. Dents on both bumpers!!

Take a taxi!

That would be supremely foolish since I already paid for a rental car. :wink: (Some might argue that was also supremely foolish, but I digress)

To be clear, there is no good reason for me to go there. My op will pick me up from my hotel pier where I'm staying this time. I just wanna see how things have changed in that area from all my previous trips where we always docked in the Caleta. I used to almost always drive to the Caleta since I liked to stay in town a lot and I always get a car. This is strictly a curiosity thing. I'm gonna look around and go "Yep that's a marina" and it'll be over with. :)

Thanks all. My first day of diving is afternoon, after that all mornings. I'm in a southern hotel with pier pickup so I think I'll just skip the marina grand tour for the first day. Appreciate everyone's experience.
Well then, forget the marina. I never go to either one unless I have to.
Take a taxi!
That would be supremely foolish since I already paid for a rental car. :wink: (Some might argue that was also supremely foolish, but I digress)
It sounds like it'd beat trying to park at the marina if you had to go, but you don't.
To be clear, there is no good reason for me to go there. My op will pick me up from my hotel pier where I'm staying this time. I just wanna see how things have changed in that area from all my previous trips where we always docked in the Caleta. I used to almost always drive to the Caleta since I liked to stay in town a lot and I always get a car. This is strictly a curiosity thing. I'm gonna look around and go "Yep that's a marina" and it'll be over with.
I can think of so many other sights I'd rather see, but if you want to see it, then an afternoon drive thru sounds doable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom