What's the deal with the "Advanced Nitrox" certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A certain agency offers a recreational trimix course. I am speaking of the most basic trimix . Not the advanced recreational trimix (150 feet, 5 minutes of deco) or the trimix diver course, just the course that teaches diving within existing sport limits and ENDs in the 40 to 80 fsw range.

My situation is that I like to learn new stuff, but I am not interested in pushing my task loading in the water. So I wonder if recreational trimix would be of more benefit than advanced nitrox, since advanced nitrox is about accelerated deco, which is about deco, which is something I don't want to consider until I have more diving experience.

Any pros and cons?

You seem to be an extremely perceptive person. Therefore I think you are perceiving correctly the flaws in many different agencies' programs.

They all have some flaws. Some are even more flawed than others.

The best thing for you to do would be to find an instructor whom you personally like and get along with, and then trust him or her to navigate you past the agency's particular flaws. Two excellent ones come to mind, for me, and they are both NAUI-Tech. But I would not take their courses simply because they are NAUI. I would take them because they are outstanding instructors, and just by coincidence they have gravitated to NAUI-Tech.

The main purpose of tech training is to learn the physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, theory, and procedures of decompression diving. Then once you are trained and certified, you can go on to think for yourself, if your agency trained you to think for yourself.:)

Two excellent ones come to mind, for me, and they are both NAUI-Tech. But I would not take their courses simply because they are NAUI. I would take them because they are outstanding instructors, and just by coincidence they have gravitated to NAUI-Tech.

It would likely be helpful to current/future students to know which instructors past graduates had good experiences with. In other words, I'd appreciate it if you'd name said two excellent instructors.

Many people travel to find good instruction. Why are you so adverse to giving credit where it is due?

As a final FYI, Andrew Georgitsis is no longer with NAUI. If I mistakenly dissected your posts, it's not for lack of trying.

Really? Since when and what agency is he using now? (If any)

I don't believe that's Orangeman, that's a funny shot I've seen around for a while. But at the risk of learning something new, dos a yellow hose mean anything in particular? I know that the typical "Rec" setup uses a yellow hose and yellow second stage for the octo you donate.

It shouldn't mean a thing. Your gear can be hot flaming pink and blaze orange. I think some people for awhile were using colors to identify gasses (the green reg is 02 or whatever) but that is kind of a foolish thing to do.

Is that GUE's new recreational diving arm?

No. More of a splinter group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom