What's the deal with the "Advanced Nitrox" certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I on the other hand would bet that you run a greater risk of DCS with the use of TMX 30/30 as a backgas mix when you could just as easily use EAN 30 instead. Thus the TMX 30/30 is an unnecessary risk. Fine for deco in the range of 140 to 80 ft, but bad for "recreational" anything.

I do not care what gas you dive just don't say that helium will get you out slower when it won't. You are wrong! There are some dives that it will but for the most part helium will get you out faster.

You can have a lot of fun playing around with this from the comfort of your own desk with decompression planning software (and you don't need to rinse your dive gear down!). My very unscientific studies seem to indicate that shallower 200 feet, you can cut your deco time down by using trimix, but (perversely) if you go to pure heliox it seems to extend it. Deeper than 200 feet you extend your deco time using either trimix or heliox (but does anyone use air past 200 feet any more?). At least that's what the computer says.

You can have a lot of fun playing around with this from the comfort of your own desk with decompression planning software (and you don't need to rinse your dive gear down!). My very unscientific studies seem to indicate that shallower 200 feet, you can cut your deco time down by using trimix, but (perversely) if you go to pure heliox it seems to extend it. Deeper than 200 feet you extend your deco time using either trimix or heliox (but does anyone use air past 200 feet any more?). At least that's what the computer says.

I agree completely but like you said who is going to dive air past 200'.

Deco divers that use Navy tables with 1.8 PO2?

Who would subject themselves to that kind of narcosis for any length of time?

I did 201' on air, and it's VERY narcy. Trimix is MUCH safer.

I know it was rhetorical, but the US Navy tables for air go down to 300 feet (madmen).

Also, in the book Shadow Divers, all the early dives to the sub (at 230 feet) were made on air (and three people died - probably tells you something). I am sure all those infamous NY wreck divers have a few other deep air tales that they could tell as well.

Freaking nutcases, all of them.

Mark Ellyatt ('nuff said :wink: )

Mark Ellyatt Scuba Depth Record

Real men plan with an END >70m

Funny - he really downplays the fact that he had to be rescued by his support divers, got bent and then spent a lengthy period of time recovering in the chamber.

Wonder why he didn't mention those bits more?

When Nuno Gomes and Pascal Bernabe went to similar depths, each of them spent about 4 hours longer decompressing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom