Whats the best way to add weight to a maxed out integrated BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, yes, i guess you could say its commercial. We are sniping for gold. Im the new guy on the boat and they already had the AL tanks. Im assuming they use those because they are common, easy to find used, and arent going to corrode after getting all scratched up. They have been doing this for 30 years and im just trying to find a better/safer way of doing things. Its different and more challenging for me as a really big guy!

Aha! I see... I guess it's worth it financially if you guys go through all of that. :)

Steel tanks and a steel backplate would be a much better solution for you personally rather than trying to rig so much ballast on a jacket BC. But I guess I see how that might eat into the profit margins. Also, you guys must be spending a LOT of time in the water, if you need 5 tanks each for dives of 3-40 feet.

How about a set of double steel 119s? I used to dive those when I did open circuit. Holds as much gas as 3 AL80s. The rig was very negative, I needed no weight at all with them in a dry suit, and I'm 6'2", 250 lbs. Redundant gas supply too! That's important if you have weighted yourself so that surfacing quickly isn't really an option.

Seriously, think about what you are doing. You are making yourself VERY negative with an unbalanced rig with no redundant gas supply. You can't swim it up without a lot of gas in your BC, and your exit plan is to crawl up the riverbank. What if you blow an LP hose? A AL80 that is FULL will drain in about 80 seconds. Even if you are counting on your wing (or BC) as emergency buoyancy, you might not have enough gas to fill it in an emergency, and you really can't CESA.

Even if you are counting on your wing (or BC) as emergency buoyancy, you might not have enough gas to fill it in an emergency, and you really can't CESA.

Well if it's in 3 feet you could do an emergency Standing Up ascent.

Thanks Eric, those are some good ideas. I only have the BCD in the event of an emergency (i could inflate it), but if i went to just the back plate and dumped my weight belt, i would be pretty close to neutral (might be sketchy). Since im only diving in 3'-40', its not to bad, but with the current, you can be a ways down river before you make it up. Since a lot of people have brought of the steel tank, i have a question about that. While im diving or crawling my way back up the rocky bank, my tank is banging into rocks. If i lose my grip and get swept down river, its often my tank that hits something first. Would that cause the paint to chip and cause corrosion issues with a steel tank? Our AL tanks have a lot of missing paint. Is this a valid concern?
Most steel tanks are hot dipped galvanized. Some are painted, but knowing what your situation is now I would avoid those.
If the hot dipped ones ever get scarred up through the galvanizing you can brush or spray more cold galvanizing compound on them.
I also wanted to add, that you could put something like an Oxycheq 40 lb wing on a plate and at least have some lift if you needed it to help offset your heaviness. A streamlined single tank donut wing like an Oxycheq Mach 5 would work well in your environment because they are super thick and beafy. They also make an extreme series which will withstand cuts and punctures.
All it takes is money, but right tool for the job.

I'd consider DIY'ind something out of "tactical" or similar webbing and weight pouches. I think I would want the weight on my chest where it'd help keep my face planted in the bottom and the pouches are easy to reach and rip them open if needed.

I'd consider DIY'ind something out of "tactical" or similar webbing and weight pouches. I think I would want the weight on my chest where it'd help keep my face planted in the bottom and the pouches are easy to reach and rip them open if needed.
Cast some kind of a lead plate that secures on the chest area with a rip cord release system.
Could work?

Or just a DUI weight and trim system. Don't invent water.

Or just a DUI weight and trim system. Don't invent water.
I just called DUI and discussed my configuration and he said that the harness may work but it will be close due to my height. But then he said that a better alternative would be to go to a backplate system as many of you have suggested! It sounds like i may just need to bite the bullet and invest in new gear that is more appropriate for this application.

Last edited:
My Oxycheq Mk V has been sturdy and is apparently very streamlined. Buoyancy to lift you after dropping a belt/harness seems very important for safety. You can ziptie/tape extra lead to a backplate. Thick steel and 2" webbing seems the way to go for that load. There are 'big' ditchable weight pockets you can add to the BP/W, 'big' relative to your application.
http://www.xdeep.eu/backplate-weight-pockets-diving-pr-20.
html
16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite

I think BP/W is the best way to go, but what do the others dive?

Last edited:
My Oxycheq Mk V has been sturdy and is apparently very streamlined. Buoyancy to lift you after dropping a belt/harness seems very important for safety. You can ziptie/tape extra lead to a backplate. Thick steel and 2" webbing seems the way to go for that load. There are 'big' ditchable weight pockets you can add to the BP/W, 'big' relative to your application.
http://www.xdeep.eu/backplate-weight-pockets-diving-pr-20.
html
16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite

I think BP/W is the best way to go, but what do the others dive?

Thanks for the advice. I was just thinking about the BP/W setup and trying to figure out the weight situation. Even with the added weight of the plate im still going to need 45lbs of weight. So would i mount it all to the plate/harness using various methods or mount some weight and still use a weight belt? obviously i wont want wear a 45lb weight belt (thats the reason i changed systems in the first place.)
The other guys i dive with use a very basic BCD with no weight integration and use a 60lb dive belt. These guys are old school (used to wear a backpack), and i think there has got to be a better/safer way of doing this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom