Whats the best way to add weight to a maxed out integrated BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimbait

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I can put about 30lbs of weight into my Zeagle Stiletto, but still need about 25 more pounds. In the past i have used a jacket style BCD and a 55lb weight belt which rode right below the BCD. However, this Stiletto is much longer and im not able to put the weight belt where it needs to be without interference. The only solution i could come up with is putting the weight belt where it needs to be and having the cumber bun go over the top of it. Im not sure how comfortable this would be. Does anyone have experience in this department? Thanks

I would evaluate your weighting first. I can't see anyone needing 55 pounds to sink unless they look like the michelin man.

a heavy steel backplate, weighted sta, more negative steel tank (eg heiser/asahi), or a weight harness are common options to carry weight other than weight pockets or a belt.

Weight pockets on the camband on both sides of tank would work for about 10lbs (5 each side), which might also help with trim. 55 lbs seems like a lot of weight.

Gotta say as well, 55 lbs sounds a bit much........but, honestly if you do require that much I wouldn’t trust a standard BCD to handle that much and survive for very long......seriously consider a Backplate and wing.

I would evaluate your weighting first. I can't see anyone needing 55 pounds to sink unless they look like the michelin man.

a heavy steel backplate, weighted sta, more negative steel tank (eg heiser/asahi), or a weight harness are common options to carry weight other than weight pockets or a belt.

I feel like the Michelin Man when im all geared up! Im 6'-7" 250 lbs and have a 7 mil farmer john wetsuit. Im diving in 40 degree river water and just about float with a 40lb weight belt. Since im working on the bottom i need to have enough weight that i dont get swept away. So 60 lb belt is just about right. Im not concerned with buoyancy.

Thanks for those tips, i will look into that. Would i be able to use the backplate thing with my current Stiletto BCD? or would i be investing in a whole new system?

Get a steel tank, I dive in a same setup in the Adriatic and use half your weight with a 15L steel tank.

I would lose the farmer john and get a good 7mil. semi dry such as Hollis or bare, you will use alot less lead and would consider a DUI weight harness to hold additional lead. Also consider switching to steal tanks-will reduce almost 6lbs. of lead.

Outside what was already suggested you could get 2.5# ankle weights for another 5#s and use negatively buoyant fins.

Also at 6'7" I would suggest a steel 120 or 133 c.f. tank.

I.. In the past i have used a jacket style BCD and a 55lb weight belt...
Really hoping there's a decimal point missing in your post or maybe skip the refried beans pre-dive. But then again, I've seen freedivers who dive with a brick and a surface rope attached to it. Then drop it when they hit the sand to be hauled up later and repeat.They use no energy and don't kick to the bottom giving them more time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom