Whats the best way to add weight to a maxed out integrated BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since we seem to be getting sidetracked on amount of weight, i will address the issue. Yes, for a normal scuba diving situation, its overkill. However, for what im doing in the river, its correct. Everyone I know uses these kinds of weights around here. The goal is to sink to the bottom, have enough weight that the current doesnt push you, and pull yourself along the bottom (not swim) and then crawl/climb back up the bank. I have never even inflated my BCD while river diving! Even in the local lake i use a 40lb weight belt due to the size of my wetsuit. So 55lbs isnt a crazy number.
The guys I go with dont have BCDs with integrated weights. (it wasnt long ago that they were wearing regular backpacks and not even a BCD lol) But i have since purchased a back inflator in an attempt to reduce drag and incorporate some of my weights thus lessening the size of my weight belt. So back to the original question, can i use this Zeagle with a weight belt?
Since 3 of us all share about 15 Aluminum tanks on the boat, i want to just figure out a way to make those work, however, the use of steel tanks is a great idea! Im trying to come up with a way to make what i have work. Thank you all for your imput and ideas!

Last edited:
6'7" 250 isn't very heavy if you are densely built
Yep, I lift. haha i could lose about 20lbs if i really wanted to cut, but i dont think that will move the needle much.

[Just saw your reply after I sent this message so may not be the issue, as described below]

I note the following specs for your rig:
  • Integrated Ripcord Weight System - 44 lb capacity (24 lbs Diver releasable -
    20 lbs non-diver releasable trim weights for improved weight distribution and balance)
  • 35-lb lift capacity low profile bladder.
I’d be concerned that with 60lbs of weight whether you could swim to surface if your BC failed at the beginning of your dive at depth (see balanced rig discussions). That, you’d be stuck to the bottom.

You mention you almost float with a 40lbs weight belt, which suggest to me that your ideal weight is 40lbs. Wearing an extra 20lbs (maxing at 60lbs, as you suggests) means that at depth, you may be adding significant amounts of air to your BC to maintain buoyancy. If your diving in the ~30 range, going up just five feet is going to increase the volume of air in your BC quite a bit, which could easily lead to trouble maintaining depth (that is, you could easily float up from bottom and not be able to stop yourself). In this overweight scenario, issue isn’t to add more weight, but to take weight off (to have less air in BC at depth) and thus to achieve a balanced rig (counter intuitive maybe, but I’ve run into this issue with carrying just an extra 5lbs).

On the other hand, maybe you are weighted correctly and this scenario doesn’t apply. Consider conducting a weight check with 500 psi in tank (and after your wetsuit has been compressed). If you just sink when exhaling, consider that your starting point for weight. Go dive and see what happens.

i would just consider going surface supply with a hat and leaded boots. you are practically just walking on the bottom now anyways.
Ha Ha! I have actually thought about that before! Unfortunately it wouldn't work. The hose would have too much drag and would rip the regulator out of your mouth or pull you downstream. The current can be so strong that in some places, if you look to the side, your mask will be ripped off. So you can see why im trying to lessen my profile with the new BCD.

If you're not using your BCD for buoyancy compensation, just get a steel backplate from DSS, add all their weight plates, and put whatever else you need on your weight belt. Don't bother with a BCD or wing, and get a steel tank. That'll get you pretty damn negative pretty quickly.

I'd use a harness, not a belt, for at least some of the weight.

If you're not using your BCD for buoyancy compensation, just get a steel backplate from DSS, add all their weight plates, and put whatever else you need on your weight belt. Don't bother with a BCD or wing, and get a steel tank. That'll get you pretty damn negative pretty quickly.
This. And for the tanks (assuming you can't get steel), put weight pockets on the tank bands, and add weight there.

since you aren't actually scuba diving, just walking on the bottom, get a DUI weight harness.

You could also get a backplate and just string hard weights into the harness itself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom