What's the best -and worst- Christmas gift you ever received?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping, but I've got a couple of those real hard people to shop for left. You know, the ones that have everything, want nothing (or at least what they want is waaaay to expensive).

In a desperate bid for ideas, I was wondering - what was the best Christmas gift (not necessarily dive related) you've ever received (gifts to yourself don't count :wink: ), and what was the worst gift you've ever received?

Best gift for me . . . I think I was 8 years old and got it in my head that I wanted a pogo stick. Who knows why. However, come Christmas Day, lo and behold there's a pogo stick, wrapped and everything (not that you couldn't tell what it was. :D ) I must have used the pogo stick only a handful of times, and never could bounce more than twice on it. What made it the best gift for me is that I could ask for something as impractical as a pogo stick and my parents got it for me.

As for the worst gift ever . . . I'm still thinking about it.

Qantas complimentary inflight toiletries bag (two years in a row)
Those mini computer vacuum kits for "keyboard maintenance"

Hmmmm.

Worst? Probably gift certificates, especially for stores I'd never shop in. And clothes so far from my taste (and size, people seem to think I'm much larger than I am) as to be a complete waste of their $$.

Best? SCUBA lessons. They were a wedding anniversary present from my spouse. A complete surprise. Totally unexpected. out of the blue. Did I say I was surprised? :D Near the top, my Tilley hat. Not cheap at about $60 CDN Wanted one for a long time, but could not bring myself to spend that much on a hat. :) (what can I say, I'm cheap).

Other gifts that I've really appreciated, include magazine subscriptions on topics of interest. A subscription for the local paper, mailed to someone who has moved away, so they can keep up on happenings back home is great. My dad's always difficult to buy for. If he needs it, he goes and gets it. This year I've decided on a good pair of lined calfskin gloves (if you live in a cold climate, you can never have too many pairs of gloves). Something a bit dressy, as I know he'd only ever buy a good practical pair.

An idea of age, sex, locale would help us help.

Kent

ever see the movie "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie gets that pink fuzzy bunny suit from his aunt? I got one almost just like it - without the head, though.

It was from my ex-husband's aunt during my first Christmas in North Carolina. Having come from Hawaii, the cold weather took some getting used to. It was (literally) an adult sized version of those kid's jammies with the feet attached. The rear area was a flap attached with two buttons at the top corner, so you could sit down and use the bathroom while keeping the rest of you toasty. It was made out of a fuzzy pink fleecy material. While I surely appreciated the thought, needless to say I never wore it.

My hard to purchase for brother in law - 32 yrs old, lives in Hawaii, has quite a large income and whenever he wants/needs anything, he just buys it. Likes golf and wine - but I would say probably already has most gadgets associated.

worst........clothes I didn't like:(

best..........computer/tools :)

and for those who believe in the real meaning of Chrismas....Baby Jesus:lilangel:

I was three years old and received a 12" GI Joe (Kung-Fu Grip) which came complete with the following:

Orange Vulcanized Rubber Wetsuit Jacket, Hood and Pants
Twin Tanks with two tube wrap-around regulator
Orange Horse Collar Style BCD
Black Rubber Mask and Fins
Spear Gun, yeah...you gotta have a spear gun

Came with a Blue (floating) Dive Sled which he could lie down on to read the radar.

And...a nice rubber shark!

I wanted to scuba dive ever since I got this present but it took me almost 27 years to go for it!

Best- a beautiful little girl born on Dec 27.

Worst- Not even a phone call from anyone I cared about.

Tom

fuel or batteries, some assembly, and a thick instruction manual with lots of pages that start with WARNING....

Worst are cologne, 'stylish' clothes, or books on self-improvement...yuh, right.

(When I was a kid, there was one aunt that would get boxes from Neiman Marcus (very upscale store) and then buy crap from WalMart to put in them...those were always pretty near the worst.)

chepar once bubbled...
It was (literally) an adult sized version of those kid's jammies with the feet attached. The rear area was a flap attached with two buttons at the top corner, so you could sit down and use the bathroom while keeping the rest of you toasty. It was made out of a fuzzy pink fleecy material. While I surely appreciated the thought, needless to say I never wore it.

OOOH. :D I would so love that for under a drysuit. :all: ROTFL

My hard to purchase for brother in law - 32 yrs old, lives in Hawaii, has quite a large income and whenever he wants/needs anything, he just buys it. Likes golf and wine - but I would say probably already has most gadgets associated. [/B]

Not sure your price range. Saw a neat "gadget" for the golfer not long ago. It imprints the golfers initials into any golf ball. (ah, quick search finds http://www.sportsgifts.com/golfgifts.html look for golf ball monogrammer. ) My father in law used to golf but gave it up, harder to buy for now.

Worst gift - a hideous plaster sculpture of a hand that slowly fell into little white chunks on my carpet over the space of a couple months...

Best gift - my first BC and regulator, followed by a lovely ruby bracelet (both from my darling husband....)

Personally my favorite "gift" is getting together and having a good time with family & friends.

Back
Top Bottom