Best scuba advice you’ve received

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy checks or pre-dive checks are often lacking or missing, and I don't like the buddy checks that has your partner check things FOR you.
If it's 'often lacking or missing' in a class or a refreasher, the instructor should be reported to PADI. It's a pretty big safety issue.
It doesn't have to be the buddy checking, you can look at they SPG yourself and push the inflator button yourself as long as the buddy sees it and can confirm the gear was checked before the dive.

As an instructor, you also have to make sure each diver knows which way is on and off on a valve.
When DM’ing I was surprised how many people didn’t know which way to turn a valve on. I saw people checking each others tanks and in one case a final check resulted in a tank being shut off not on. A diver shut off the other divers air thinking they were turning it on. We caught it before they got in and went over it.
In a class setting the Instructor or DM needs to keep their eyes open and make sure.
Then hope to god that they retain the info in the real world.

As an instructor, you also have to make sure each diver knows which way is on and off on a valve.
When DM’ing I was surprised how many people didn’t know which way to turn a valve on. I saw people checking each others tanks and in one case a final check resulted in a tank being shut off not on. A diver shut off the other divers air thinking they were turning it on. We caught it before they got in and went over it.
In a class setting the Instructor or DM needs to keep their eyes open and make sure.
Then hope to god that they retain the info in the real world.
Again, I agree that the instructor should make sure the students valves are turned on, and make sure that they know how to ensure this.

But, rather than "hope to god they retain the info", it's prudent to teach the students protocols and habits that catch any such mistakes. Yeah, I agree it shouldn't be that hard to figure out what way to turn valves, but the fact is that people still make that mistake. So teach them simple ways of ensuring that mistake won't affect them in a negative way.

1) pre-breath regulator(s) right before splashing
2) always turn the valves all the way on
3) make sure they know how to open the valve underwater

These 3 steps pretty much foolproof any possible valve mistakes. #1 ensures no one turned the valve off by accident (yourself, buddy, DM on the boat), and along with #2 makes sure it won't suddenly stop working at depth. #3 is the last line of defense, making sure you can catch either of the other two mistakes even if you screw up checking right before you splash, or somebody turned the valve off and then a quarter turn on without you noticing.

On a normal boat dive I check my valves when I assemble my gear, when I don the gear, right before I splash, and after descent. Takes no time, and is a very simple insurance.

Again, I agree that the instructor should make sure the students valves are turned on, and make sure that they know how to ensure this.

But, rather than "hope to god they retain the info", it's prudent to teach the students protocols and habits that catch any such mistakes. Yeah, I agree it shouldn't be that hard to figure out what way to turn valves, but the fact is that people still make that mistake. So teach them simple ways of ensuring that mistake won't affect them in a negative way.

1) pre-breath regulator(s) right before splashing
2) always turn the valves all the way on
3) make sure they know how to open the valve underwater

These 3 steps pretty much foolproof any possible valve mistakes. #1 ensures no one turned the valve off by accident (yourself, buddy, DM on the boat), and along with #2 makes sure it won't suddenly stop working at depth. #3 is the last line of defense, making sure you can catch either of the other two mistakes even if you screw up checking right before you splash, or somebody turned the valve off and then a quarter turn on without you noticing.

On a normal boat dive I check my valves when I assemble my gear, when I don the gear, right before I splash, and after descent. Takes no time, and is a very simple insurance.
I have one rule in diving, nobody touches my stuff, NO ONE!

I have one rule in diving, nobody touches my stuff, NO ONE!

Now I know what I am going to do when I go diving with you. My fingerprints will be all over your equipment :p

Let’s have a positive version of the other thread: Bad scuba advice you've received

What’s the best advice you have gotten so far?

I think for me the best advice I got was to buy less stuff but to be picky and buy only the correct equipment for the task.

Edit: I was about to mention something something about fundies but then thought that maybe this would lead to a long winded convo 😂
If something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.
And, include the weather and tides in your plans.

Breath!

How do divers in the shower or bath not burn themselves in muddled valve manipulation or do they

Back
Top Bottom