What's the argument AGAINST wearing your mask under your hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100 people = 100 different opinions. Don't see the argument either way. Seems to be a case of "to each his own".

If you wear a snorkle then you can't do it. The hood also pads my ears from the mask strap. As mentioned, it is probably not as warm.

If you are not wearing a snorkel, not diving in super cold water and it feels comfortable, then I think under the hood is safer, I've had my mask knocked off my face before while diving.

No hair-pulling issues with one of these:

Or one of these...

shaved%20head.JPG

Mask strap getting tangled up in hair (which is relieved by mask strap on outside of hood).

Do what I did, shave it off!!!! No hair pulling, no leaky mask. Just perfect comfortable fit. (side benefits, you save $$ on shampoo and save lots of time since you don't have to fix your hair).

I still use a hood even when I don't need it for thermal protection such as when diving in warmer water. I use a thin hood when diving in warmer waters since mask strap on the ears is not very comfortable. Thin hood still helps me stay warmer when doing multiple dives over multiple days.

At the end, this is something personal and there is no right or wrong answer in the most part except perhaps in certain highly specialized type of diving where you are wearing a latex hood and you can't wear mask under it.

I tried wearing mine under my hood, to prevent the isolator from pushing my mask strap up the back of my head, but it seemed that every time I turned my head, my mask leaked. It also definitely allows more water circulation under the hood, which wasn't bad in Florida's 68 degree water, but would really suck in Puget Sound's 45.

because i can't STAND having my hair pushed forward on my scalp like that, from pulling the hood off my face & then back up from the back. ugh! like rubbing a cat's fur backward! gives me the chills thinking about it!

I tried mask-under-hood for a few dives and didn't like it. By far the most noticeable thing was a big increase in cold water coming into the hood at the straps.

Also, it made it impossible to adjust the mask strap (I always have leaks unless the mask is positioned perfectly on my face, and it requires a few adjustments throughout the dive).

What's a hood?

Probably it's a number of reasons depending on your mask and hood.

The mask may leak when you turn your head
The hood leaks
It feels highly constricting
It impedes CPR attempts (both from a victim and rescuer standpoint)
snorkel won't attach properly
HAIR HAIR HAIR
Octopus grabs your mask and won't let go

I'm kinda making BS reasons now.
Really there's no reason I can think of it being unsafe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom