Whats the advantages of Oly5060 over Canon A95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are both fine cameras. The advantage I see from one over the other is that the 5060 has a hot shoe and the A95 does not. This is very important, to me anyway, when adding an external strobe. Not to sure about the A95, but the 5060 may have better manual mode control, another plus for me.

Dive Safe

Hotshoe? Please see this thread

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96018

They are both fine cameras. The advantage I see from one over the other is that the 5060 has a hot shoe and the A95 does not. This is very important, to me anyway, when adding an external strobe. Not to sure about the A95, but the 5060 may have better manual mode control, another plus for me.

And since the 5060 is more popular U/W there are more parts out there. Ebay is a place to see how popular a camera is.

Dive Safe

Its a connection for a TTL external strobe mounted on the UW housing.

I personally like the fact that the 5060 supports RAW images, eventually, you may expand into manual settings and then possibly into shooting RAW in which case you can change picture info on your computer.

JJP161:
Anyone else have any comments on the Fujifilm F810 or how it compares to the Oly5060 and Canon A95? Thank-you.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/page12.asp

A couple comments based on a quick read.
1. This camera's image quality is not much if any better than similar camera's like the Canon S70.
2. At 32.5, the WA capabilities are not as good as many out there.
3. The ISO 800 is a bonus, but limits at 3mpix.
4. The RAW is rather pointless unless Adobe does (or has) implemented their version which maybe better.

Nice hijack, BTW, and now, I'm part of the crime! :11:

f3nikon:
Hotshoe? Please see this thread

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96018

And since the 5060 is more popular U/W there are more parts out there. Ebay is a place to see how popular a camera is.

Dive Safe

For an SLR or DSLR, I'd agree with 100%. For a PnS camera, not so much. There are plenty of ways to add flash using slaves with PnS digitals. IMO a hotshoe would not be a deal breaker.

RAW IMO is a huge advantage which the 5060 does support.

JJP161:
My girlfriend recently got me a new Oly5060 and I was curious how it compares to other digital cameras and in particular what the advantages would be over shooting with something along the lines of a Canon A95? I have access to both and I haven't purchased a housing yet so I was curious what route to go. Thank-you very much.

Joe

It's bigger, but aside from that it's hands down a MUCH better camera vs. the A95.

I'm not going to go into why, however there are plenty of details on both cameras around from many resources like

www.dpreview.com

There is no difference in cost between the housings, and IMO the 5060 is a camera that will grow with you, while the A95 is limited.

I guess ultimately it depends upon your goals, which is something you have not bothered mentioning, and no one has asked, so I will. What R you goals with the camera???

That should really make the decision for you....

RonFrank:
For an SLR or DSLR, I'd agree with 100%. For a PnS camera, not so much. There are plenty of ways to add flash using slaves with PnS digitals. IMO a hotshoe would not be a deal breaker.

RAW IMO is a huge advantage which the 5060 does support.

Other than a hotshoe, the only way to fire an external strobe is with the camera's internal flash...there goes your camera's battery charge and the temperature in the housing will go up. Also on slave mode you dealing with this preflash @#*&! Hardwire via the hotshoe is the direct connection.

Another point if you notice that in most cases, the camera's with the hotshoes also has more manual control features, like they're aiming for the "pro" type of users.

See this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96018

Canons are great cameras if not the best (speaking as a Nikon fan) I have an older Canon G1. I would get a G series Canon like the G5 with a hotshoe over anything else in the Canon line.

Dive Safe

The wide angles: Think of it like a "cone" of view. A wider angle lens (smaller mm, like 28 mm) has a wider "cone" than less wide (bigger mm, like 35 mm). On the telephoto side, a bigger mm (135 mm) acts like a higher magnification (bigger telescope, bigger binoculars) than a smaller mm (100 mm).

Underwater, the effect of having a housed camera (air in housing) in a wet environment is to increase the net mm, so a 28 mm lens acts like a 35 mm underwater; a 35 mm acts like a 45 mm, etc. (This is a very rough statement; purists please don't jump on me :D)

f/#, e.g. f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6 etc. refer to the aperture. I think you had a question about that. Both lenses open to f/2.8. Smaller f/# mean larger aperture (go figure), which means that they let more light in to the CCD chip. The disadvantage is that (again, very roughly), a small f/# (or large aperture) has less depth-of-field, meaning that a smaller span of distances appear in focus. If I'm shooting a fish at 1 m distance at f/2.8, the zone from about 0.9 to 1.1 m will appear in focus (more or less). If I'm shooting the same fish at 1 m, at f/16, the zone from about 0.6 m to 2.5 m will be in focus. (Actually, the wide angle also plays into that; wider angle has better depth-of-field). For macro shots, for example, it's very nice to set a wide aperture (small f/#) and focus on your subject. Then, foreground and background are blurry. For fancy landscapes (or seascapes), it's nice to set a small aperture, so that a lot of the background (essentially, to infinity) appear sharp.

Now that we understand that you actually have both cameras (are you sure we can't talk you into trading in your gf :wink: ?) and are just trying to understand which one to house...

How much do you think you want to get into UW photography? If you're pretty serious about it, I'd probably say the 5060, so that you can shoot raw & easily photoshop-it (you can also photoshop jpegs, although the purists would not like me to say that :wink: ) and get a hot-shoe-able-strobe (TTL strobe).

But, on the other hand (I must be an octopus :eyebrow:), purists also don't like TTL strobes, and like to set strobes to fire manually...

On yet another hand, the new Inon D2000 strobe looks like it can TTL point-and-shoot cameras pretty easily.

If TTL strobes haven't been explained to your satisfaction, let us know; I'm sure lots of folks here will be more than happy to enlighten you (pun intended) :D

RonFrank:
It's bigger, but aside from that it's hands down a MUCH better camera vs. the A95.

I'm not going to go into why, however there are plenty of details on both cameras around from many resources like

www.dpreview.com

There is no difference in cost between the housings, and IMO the 5060 is a camera that will grow with you, while the A95 is limited.

I guess ultimately it depends upon your goals, which is something you have not bothered mentioning, and no one has asked, so I will. What R you goals with the camera???

That should really make the decision for you....

RonFrank,
Thank-you very much for sharing your knowledge. As for my goals I want a camera I can take with me on a vacation, use topside and U/W and get some good pictures to share with family and friends. I want something expandable so I can at least add an external flash but that is still fairly easy to use, for the most part point and shoot. I want to focus on my dive and still enjoy it but snap some pictures of all the cool stuff along the way to show my girlfriend and kids. So I want the best pictures with the least amount of hassle, but will still be somewhat expandable. Mainly something that will be used topside for kids baseball games, family vacations, school functions and then I can put it in a housing go diving and get some really good pictures without have to mess with a bunch of buttons or dials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom