What's the advantage of Halogen cannister over C-cell lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnCollins

Reaction score
I've downloaded Padipro's plans and they're great! I'm wondering if a Halogen light is worthwhile to build, though. Certainly the HID is, but very expensive to do.

What's the advantage of the cannister Halogen light over traditional multiple C or D cell lights? Especially C or D cell lights that are also halogen? I'm trying to figure out if a halogen cannister is worth all the hassles or should I just build one if I decide to pop for more expensive HID components??

Thanks.

JPC

Oh, also, Padipro, what's the beam pattern like when you make your Mag lite light head? Obviously with the JB-weld, it is no longer focusable by turning. Thanks.

I'd like to build a HID light myself but like you said it's very expensive even if you build the canister yourself.

The biggest advantage of a canister light over a regular C or D cell light is the wattage of the bulb. The light output efficiency of higher wattage bulbs is greater. The light output of a light bulb is measured in lumens. The electricity usage is measured in watts. The efficiency of a light bulb is measured in lumens of light produced divided by the watts of electricity used.

For example, a typical 25-watt light bulb produces 210 lumens of light. A 100-watt light bulb produces 1600 lumens of light. It requires about eight 25-watt bulbs (200 total watts of electricity used) to produce as much light as one 100-watt bulb.

An average C or D cell dive light has a 6 to 8-watt halogen bulb producing, at most, a couple of hundred lumens. Compare that to the above example of the 25-watt standard bulb and you can see a 50-watt halogen is going to be much brighter. The 50-watt MR16 halogen will give you about the same light level as a standard 100 watt-bulb. You're not going to get that out of a standard C or D cell dive light even if it has a halogen bulb in it.

You're right, you can't change the size of the beam on the light. The reflector on the bulb is fixed and so the beam stays the same. I've tried both the spot and flood versions of the MR-16 and I like the flood best. It gives you a very wide beam of light at about 10 to 15 feet and beyond where as the spot is very narrow but give you a very consentrated "Spot" at about the same distance.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom