My first canister light project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weeeellll, did you dive it today?

I didn't dive it but I did let it sit in the bath tub for a while :) it didn't have a noticeable leak. It did have some condensation on the inside of the tube/lens though... Is that normal, or does that mean there is a leak?

any condensation means you had moisture inside., once you flood the light you will need to chane switch, connectors and cord as you will never ever get salt water out of those parts.
i always put some pb300 or aquaseal to the ends of cable so it will not collect water.
let it seat under a sun for few days

Good luck on your project! You are almost there. did you have the battery in for the test? Would it be a good idea to remove the battery and replace with some lead fishing weight for the next soak in the tub to see if you have isolated the leak? Or was it just the head and not the canister?

any condensation means you had moisture inside., once you flood the light you will need to chane switch, connectors and cord as you will never ever get salt water out of those parts.

+1 once the water is in the cable it's done! Switch may be OK since you flooded it with fresh water. Just make sure it's dry.

i always put some pb300 or aquaseal to the ends of cable so it will not collect water.
let it seat under a sun for few days

Thank you for the advice on sealing the cable!

Good luck on your project! You are almost there. did you have the battery in for the test? Would it be a good idea to remove the battery and replace with some lead fishing weight for the next soak in the tub to see if you have isolated the leak? Or was it just the head and not the canister?

Well in the tub it just condensated, I didnt see any actual water entry, so hopefully it was just drawing the condensation out of the wet paper inside of the cable. I actually had the light running in the tub, so I did have the battery in there.

+1 once the water is in the cable it's done! Switch may be OK since you flooded it with fresh water. Just make sure it's dry.

So the cable needs to be replaced? Would it be possible to let everything sit open in the sun as suggested above or do you think there will always be some moisture in the cable now? I think that the switch is fine, I blew out the remaining water with an air compressor before it had a chance to do any damage.

I am going to put the light in the bottom of my parents pool tonight and see how that goes! If all goes well in the pool I will more than likely be able to test it again in a spring this weekend.

I personally would replace but it may work ok!

Ok I took it over to my parents pool and attached it to my reel and lowered it to the bottom of 'the deep end' (8'). It leaked in the light head! I brought it back up, cleaned it and dried it out and then tightened the crown as tight as I could and lowered it down again.....no leak! I lowered it again and let it sit for a while and no leaks.... I'm not sure that I trust it at this point. Any ideas?

Ok I took it over to my parents pool and attached it to my reel and lowered it to the bottom of 'the deep end' (8'). It leaked in the light head! I brought it back up, cleaned it and dried it out and then tightened the crown as tight as I could and lowered it down again.....no leak! I lowered it again and let it sit for a while and no leaks.... I'm not sure that I trust it at this point. Any ideas?

lens lens lens!

The lens I have is the lens I bought from you, and the oring I am using is the oring I bought from you. The lens and orings I have ordered from deal extreme and oringsusa havent arrived yet as all are on backorder. Have you ever had a lens that was just the wrong size, even though it came with others that were correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom