My first canister light project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lens I have is the lens I bought from you, and the oring I am using is the oring I bought from you. The lens and orings I have ordered from deal extreme and oringsusa havent arrived yet as all are on backorder. Have you ever had a lens that was just the wrong size, even though it came with others that were correct?

Has not happened to me yet. I have assembled about 4 lights with just lens and o rings and have not had one leak yet. Have taken one to 110 feet and another to 50 and yet another to 265' in pressure pot.

Did you remove about 1.7mm off the threads on the head? How did you do this, if so? It may be that it is not straight so the lens is a bit crooked in there... Did you notice that the bezel is a bit harder to screw in from the slightly larger o-ring?

Try putting just the head in the water and see if it leaks by itself, then try the can by itself and see. When you do the head just dip it in before the tail cap. I would almost bet is a lens installation issue for sure.

Oh, and did you remove enough material to make the bezel sit all the way down to the head? I usually do not do that and leave a very small gap so as to ensure that the bezel exrts pressure on the lens to crush the o-ring.

I have not removed any material from the threads on the head. I did cut down the reflector so that it fit. There is resistance because of the larger oring. The lens seems a tad bit too small for the head, is the lens supposed to have room to move around in the part that screws on the head?

I have not removed any material from the threads on the head. I did cut down the reflector so that it fit. There is resistance because of the larger oring. The lens seems a tad bit too small for the head, is the lens supposed to have room to move around in the part that screws on the head?

The first round of lenses had a bit of play in them. The second round had very minimal play in them. I have used both without any problems. Now, if you did not remove any threads from the head how is the bezel going over the bottom or side o-ring around the head? Bottom o-ring on head prevents water from entering through the sides of the bezel and under the glass. Am I missing something? You really need to machine about 1.7mm off the head threads.

Another option would be to apply some non-corrosive silicone around threads and lens area to see if that works.

I'm not sure about cutting the threads I think that the thing is screwing down all of the way. (check out the pic and let me know what you think). I think it's leaking next to the lens because if the lens isn't perfectly on the center it doesnt crush the oring evenly all the way around. I'd like to buy two more lens from you (not the first batch). Can you paypal invoice me for that? Might as well get an extra set of orings too.

I'm not sure about cutting the threads I think that the thing is screwing down all of the way. (check out the pic and let me know what you think). I think it's leaking next to the lens because if the lens isn't perfectly on the center it doesnt crush the oring evenly all the way around. I'd like to buy two more lens from you (not the first batch). Can you paypal invoice me for that? Might as well get an extra set of orings too.

Thanks. I just sent a PM. It's still odd to me that you are able to screw the bezel down that far without removing threads off the head... On the pic it looks like the bezel is all the way down into the area it needs to be in.

You are using the 5mm borosilicate glass lens right or is it the double 2mm ones? This will clear things up for me as I am now thinking you have double 2mm ones.

I just got home and measured the lens. The one I have is 4.97mm thick and 50.99mm diameter. My bezel is 52.84mm in diameter. What do you think?

I just got home and measured the lens. The one I have is 4.97mm thick and 50.99mm diameter. My bezel is 52.84mm in diameter. What do you think?

OK, that sounds right. New lenses are about 52.5mm. And no, I guess you really do not have to machine 1.7mm off the bezel. I was not able to see the slight gap on your pic. You will just end up with 1.7mm gap between head and bezel, which is OK. I will PM you some details.
Hector

Ok I will take you up on the offer for the new lens, I will pm you. Thanks for your help :)

Got the new lens installed and everything works great! Took it to 65' at orange grove sink and had plenty of light and no leaks! The one I built for my wife works great too!

Back
Top Bottom