My first canister light project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot Hector. I checked out your website, and like it! Is that light head in your banner picture (the one with the aspheric lens) something you are experimenting with?

Oh, no just a general picture... Although I have put together a land light that uses SST-90 with aspheric.. In my opinion not worth a crap for diving since it's just a square hot spot with no spill. Just doesn't feel natural to me.

There is another member packhorse who loves them, I am just not digging the square beam and no sidespill.

I am charging it using a charger that my wife had from her traxxas rc truck. The battery is from the starter for that truck.

Hope it works well in the water tomorrow. Have you considered doing a youtube tutorial on making one? Or perhaps that guy at that website, now what was it. hmmm.... tlslights.com or was it tlslights.com or tlslights.com who sells parts. :)

Never thought about that, but it's a good idea...for someone :) I do plan on building at least 2 more, after I get the bugs worked out in this one.

Hope it works well in the water tomorrow. Have you considered doing a youtube tutorial on making one? Or perhaps that guy at that website, now what was it. hmmm.... tlslights.com or was it tlslights.com or tlslights.com who sells parts. :)

Ha, I like it... Thanks for the plug!!! I need to do that. Basically, though, it goes like this:
Cut the switch hole end of the barrel off. I usually keep about 3.75 inches from the tail cap threads up. Should do about 1/2 more if not doing option 3. May be less if doing option 2. I don't like using JB Weld!!!
Now you can do a few things to put the barrel into the head:
1. Remove anodizing and reduce the OD of the barrel to allow it to fit into the threaded area, then JB Weld
2. Just put JB Weld and use the non threaded area to glue on.
3. What I do- thread about 11mm of the barrel and then use clear non corrosive silicone to assemble. 11mm is much less threaded area than the original Mag. The reason I di this is so that the LED sits low so the reflector fits in without removing material from the face
Remove about 1.7mm from the head to allow for thicker lens
Put a cable gland on tail cap- a 9/16" hole with an M16x1.5 tap if using the tlslights.com Agro gland (ONLY available through tlslights.com... ok not really!)

Now get some 48mmID by 2mm o-rings from tlslights.com, get a lens from tlslights.com, get a 124 oring for the tail cap from... you guessed it.

You'll need a heatsink for the LED from, yes, tls...

No minimum order charge and USPS cheap shipping!!!

For the canister:
Bore out both caps to allow the battery pack to sit in the bottom one and allow enough space for switch boot and gland and switch guard on the top.
Put 15/32 hole for switch and M16x1.5 for gland.
Add cable and dust cap (if wanted) to top lid
Add hose clamps and webbing
Oh and at tlslights.com we add another oring on each cap as a secondary protection against leaks.

Heck better yet, that sounds like a lot of work... Just pay me to do it!!! hahaha

Are you tired of diving in the dark?

Tired of getting rippppppped offfff by those expensive can light companies?

WEEEEEELLLLL T L S Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigts has the solution for you! That's right, now you can make your own can light at home!

If you call now you get the tail gland, lens cover cable and dust cap for only $XXXX! That's a great deal, but WAIT THERE'S MORE.

If you call now, we will toss in O RINGS. That's a great deal, but WAIT YOU GUESSED IT there's more! We will throw in a heat sink, and an LED! Yes, that's right!

Call now and for a small shipping charge, we will double your order!

Seriously, I have been wanting to make a can light, but probably need a little more help than the above with a tutorial. I think there are a lot of folks like me, who if they could see the process in a youtube clip on your site and have a parts list would purchase from you. I suppose it depends on which way would serve your business best by selling a larger volume of parts or a smaller volume of finished units.

Seriously, I have been wanting to make a can light, but probably need a little more help than the above with a tutorial. I think there are a lot of folks like me, who if they could see the process in a youtube clip on your site and have a parts list would purchase from you. I suppose it depends on which way would serve your business best by selling a larger volume of parts or a smaller volume of finished units.

No problem.. We'll work on it. You'll have a can light soon, built by you. Lets start with what tools you have??? Of course, this would be much easier with a lathe, but others have done wihout.

Business.... what business??? Just supporting a hobby so really doesn't matter. I'll sell whatever and be happy!

Oh, and if someone is willing to do some video editing (cause I probably would suck at it) I'll get the steps and get them to you, then you can edit to make a nice video!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom