C cell NiMh housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowzer

Registered
Reaction score
Last summer I made a couple of dive lights for myself and my wife. I used 14 NiMh C cells and a Dive Genie Dive Light Genie Electronics.
Circuit board (also bought the batteries from their recommended supplier.) Over driven halogen in a Maglight body (read very bright, burn your hand, white light - mfg specs indicate output equivalent to about a 70-80 watt halogen/20 watt HID).. Pretty standard fair thus far. I didn't want to use a Otter Box, but rather a PVC/acrylic case (see previous post on how I broke one testing.) Unfortunately I found that I couldn't fit four C cells/layer in a standard 2.5 inch PVC tube. This meant a large battery case, or spending a fortune on a custom sized acrylic tube, not what I wanted. On closer inspection, I found that the C cells had 3 layers of covering, an outer PVC shrink wrap, followed by an oaktag layer and finally an inner PVC shrink wrap layer. By removing the outer layer and the oaktag, I found that I could insert a layer of four C cells in a standard 2.5 inch piece of PVC tubing. This gives me 3 rows of 4 and a row or 2. The extra space on the top layer just fits the wires and quick connectors. The battery fit is snug, so I recharge then in the tube to avoid wear on the single layer of PVC insulation. I use a thermocouple on the charger so they don't overheat.

To those of you contemplating making a light. This can give you an 80 watt pack in a reasonable size using off the shelf tubing. I certainly recommend the Dive Genie

Wife and have a season on the lights so far, so good.

Wow. 14 cells could give you close to 20volts direct off a charger.
Talk about over drive!
Not quite that high - My Dive Genie provides a regulated nominal 16.7 volts. I get a bit higher on my VOM, about 18, but that is without a load. The nice thing about the Genie is 1/4, 1/2, full power/off cycling (I use cap switch so no leaks) Also, the Genie ramps up to full voltage over a few seconds so the filament isn't shocked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom