What's that smell?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another 'bad smell cure' is an overnight soak in warm water and baking soda. Be sure to allow all items--especially the BC and booties--to throughly dry before putting them away. Good luck.

Warren

Originally posted by Iguana Don
I use Listerine as well, on the outside as well as the inside. Plus you just never know when you may need some emergency mouthwash for that special time. Just inhale through your LP inflator and whamo, no more fish breath!

ID

I love it.... this I've got to try! It works on everything? wow

Obviously we better get out of the way of ID, he is on his way to Costco to grab the monster size container of listerine and a thousand of the little bottles... Now all he needs is a printer to print some labes and a rep to take it to the dive shops...

Come to think of it - you may want to ad some dish detergent, I think people would love the bubbles...

Big T

millionaires are made! But get there fast...there is no patent
protection.

Oh, yes, you need a clever name, too: ScubaClean; DiveClean; Dunk 'n' Dive....

Joewr...rounding up a kettle, small plastic bottles, a label maker and making a quick call to the LDS....

Better make is fancy lookin'...

I already secured maself a fine bottel of listerine and wil not be needing your stuff unless it also helps improve my social life...

Since I may occasionally be inhaling this from my BC, perhaps you could ad some of that "Luuve potion"???

Thanks,
Big T

Originally posted by WetDane
There is something called "BCD Life" I think for the BC.
But I have to say that ID's suggestion of using mouthwash makes much more sense...
It would come in very handy when JustJules is in my rescue class... :)

Big T

You know, reading that out of context, I'm not sure of whether to be offended or flattered!! :)

Julie

When in doubt be flattered... I was meaning that it would be very handy for me to be able to get a puff on the BC so you can be ressusitated to something pleasant...
Merely attempting to please here...

:)
Big T

I second the "Sink the Stink" or "Odor-B-Gone" (same manufacturer, different packaging} suggestions. Killing the offending critters will stop the further stink.

However, someone also suggested drying your stuff in the sun. While that may be great for combatting mold and mildew, it is terrible for your dive gear. The sun embrittles nylon which is the major component in diving equipment. If you leave your BC out in the sun too long or too many times, it will start to leak...even if you don't puncture it! That is because the nylon will have gotten hard and will start to separate from the waterproofing inside.

The same goes for rubber items (the second most used material in diving). UV breaks down rubber and will turn hoses into a cracked leaking mess if you aren't careful.

Just my $.02

Ray

Ray,

What you said about UV is true, although most modern materials do have UV inhibitors. What is more significant is the question about when you dive: only at night?

Most diving is done during the day when the sun shines rather brightly. Putting a BC in the sun for an additional 12-24 hours to counteract mildew would be like diving for 2-3 days, say. Not too big a one-time penalty for clearing up the problem.

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom