What's that smell?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgraham11

Reaction score
Okay, I made the mistake of leaving my wet gear in my car over the weekend, and now it smells like mildew (even after rinsing it off). Any suggestions of what might get rid of the smell?

The gear includes my boots, masks, regs, fins, and BC. Fortunately I did remember to take my wetsuit out.

too bad it was not the reverse...the wet suit would have been easier to handle.

The first approach is to take all the items that are washable (fins, mask) and do the washing. Then let it air out in the sun...if possible. If not, air it out in a dry, warm room.

For your reg, wash off the exterior parts with a mild detergent/water solution. The metallic parts cannot mildew or absorb mildew, but there can be mildew adhering to the surface of the metal. It should come off readily. If the smell does not come off the rubber parts, you can have them replaced...and it will be costly. So, give a real good try.

The BC is another problem. If the mildew got into the bladder, you have to clean that out. We usually clean the inside of the bladder by unscrewing the fitting that is used to attach the inflator hose to the BC. Then you can rinse with fresh water. You can use a mild detergent there, too; just be sure to rinse carefully.

Something we have never done, but you might consider is to use one of the mildew removers that you find in supermarkets. Read the label carefully to make certain that they do not harm rubber, plastic, etc. I would try it on the fins first... But, again, I have never used that material.

Finally, the take home lesson is to wash and rinse your gear when you get home and hang it up to air immediately.

Joewr

Watch out with the mildew removers.Most are sodium hypochloride or Bleach.I use simple green for almost all my dive gear.Variously I have heard that the medical profession has some good cleaners for bacteria and molds.

From your LDS, there is a product called Sink the Stink that purports to help kill off the stuff that is causing the smell.

Sink the Stink does work really well. So does Listerine.

I use Listerine as well, on the outside as well as the inside. Plus you just never know when you may need some emergency mouthwash for that special time. Just inhale through your LP inflator and whamo, no more fish breath!

ID

You didn't leave your shoes and socks in with your dive gear did you? If so...................bad move!

I use Pinesol for everything. One capful in the bathtub full of warm water. Soak for a couple of hours and then rinse.

I like it better than "Sink the Stink".

I use Sink the Stink, and I have had really good results except with a pair of booties that are really stubborn. TSomeone recently suggested mixing a box of baking soda in a tub full of water. I haven't tried it yet (not sure aobut how it might react with residual Sink the Stink that might be on the booties), though.

Julie

There is something called "BCD Life" I think for the BC.
But I have to say that ID's suggestion of using mouthwash makes much more sense...
It would come in very handy when JustJules is in my rescue class... :)

Big T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom