What's so special about a drysuit hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All I see is a hood without a skirt. With that said, my current wetsuit hood is too big, so I'm looking for a new one that will work with a drysuit. Anyone have some really warm recommendations?

The only hood I've found that half way fits me & is comfortable to wear is the Henderson 7mm Hyperstretch Titanium drysuit hood. Any other hoods (wetsuit or drysuit) I have worn feel like they are choking me. Also, I can cut away a small portion to make a clear path to be able to insert my regulator into my mouth, if I must. For me hood are a necessary evil. I hate them, but must wear them.

i second the titatium, i have one with fuzz on the inside, except around my face. It's a 7mm and I never notice my head cold in 46 degree water. I find hoods push my chin in until I've worn them a few times (esp. when reg is not in my mouth)

Otter Bay makes what many of us call "neoprene helmets." They're thick, warm and fit because Cricket makes them custom to fit your head. (Just be aware that they tend to compress your jaw when you don't have a reg or snorkel in your mouth.)

I just bought this one to use with my new Fusion. I was shopping mainly for price, but this one fits me well and should do the job. They also offer it with a zipper in back, but I don't see the need.
Bare 7-MM Dry Hood

Agreed on the Otter Bay 12mm. It is thick, warm and custom made to fit your noggin precisely.
What's not to love. Reasonably priced as well. Way warmer than my DUI 7mm hood.

Pinnacle 7mm with merino lining. Or if they are now under Zeagle name something similar. :wink:

I have one for 3 years now, very nice and warm.

+1 vote for Otter Bay! Warmest hood. When you take the hood off you head after a dive, the water than drains out of it is very warm....almost like bath water! I dive mostly cold water and I can't imagine using any other hood. My boyfriend had an Otter Bay hood that he wore for 4 years. It actually still works, but the trim at the chin was starting to fray, and Cricket even offered to repair it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom