What's so great about scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been afraid of the diving itself I have wanted to stick my head under the water since I was 4, but there will always be some fears of some kind.....I hate sharks too, but have decided to do one of those types of dives anyway to get it out of my system. And I am an INSTRUCTOR!!!!!

So my suggestion is this.....don't worry about what MIGHT happen....

Go and do what they call a "Discover Scuba" FIRST....it is a very short introductory course, for very little dough and you will be able to make an educated decision from there....not an emotional one...

If you want to chat about it, hail me at :
divingmadeeasy@shaw.ca
Just make sure that you say it is from SCUBA CHAT or it will go into the junk mail pile and I will never see your message.
Caroline

i agree. diving is not for everyone, and if you don't enjoy a sport 100%, you should not be forced to do it. It is not something you have to do, and I am sure that your husband will not force you to do it if you refuse. Diving can be a dangerous sport, and one that should not be taken lightly. However, it is an amazing amount of fun. I say this not even having started my classes yet, but I know I will enjoy it. But like everyone has said, its not for everyone, and if it dosen't seem to be something you like, then don't do it. My suggestion would be to take the class, spend some time in the pool with your gear, and tell the instructor about your fears. Work up to the OW, and take it slow once youre there. If you get under there and don't enjoy it at all, then resurface and you will never have to go back down again. But if you try it, and don't like it, then you will know for sure, so it might be better then not trying at all. Then again, you could get under there, and totally enjoy it, and realize that you do infact love it. You never know until you try. Hope I helped a little. :)

Kayla:)

I am learning so my boyfriend will have a dive buddy, and also I want to see if it is as great as he talks about it. He loves it and so I thought I would give it a try, at least it doesn't hurt. I did the two hour pool session and it wasn't that bad. BUT I am still scared to death, but I know my dive master and instrustors will be there with me in the lake, so that puts me at rest. AT first I didn't care to learn it at all. But as I am learning more it I am getting thrilled some. And as the sharks or big fish, I don't want no part of them either, so if I leave them alone I hope they leave me alone. We don't have much big stuff here in arkansas, but we do have snakes and I already said if one comes around I am out of here LOL, but everyone has assured me that snakes ususally stay on the surface. So I will be safe. Oh will thanks for all the information. I really enjoy this site.

The best reason to try an Open Water class is to get to know yourself better. You have already heard wisdom from the best Divemasters/psychologists on the board. You indeed will have to face fears without pretense because you are in an alien environment. But phobias can be overcome, & a good Assistant Instructor will provide you with techniques to make the scary stuff easy.

My YMCA class kept us in the pool for 5 weeks before we even went to the ocean. We got used to the equipment & built up our endurance by kicking laps. As I have mentioned in other threads, tensions between me & my husband came out in diving as they never had on dry land (which is why I am currently diving with other buddies now, and you cannot presume that once you get certified that you & your guy will be great buddies. Some couples are not.)

OW is not just pool & ocean, but also classroom. Every Monday, you will return to work with a new awareness of applied physics, oceanography, physiology, and marine biology. Your co-workers will look forward to the new info. You will meet nice people, some of whom may become part of your family's social circle of buddies. If you "wash out," you can still be a scuba bunny, hanging out with the gang & helping out, hearing stories as the divers emerge from the water. Divers are often very neat people to be around.

Surprising students have made it. I knew 3 girls who only signed up because their swimming instructor promised to be there with them; they had just learned & were terrified. The girls showed up but the teacher flaked! They were weak in all the initial qualifying skills & they seemed to be behind the other 9 students by a mile! But by the end, one of those 3 was among the top 4 students in the class (and none were eaten by sharks. Oh, yes, some of the really big fish on the Pacific coast are real friendly & not dangerous at all. We love being approached by giant black sea bass!)

I say, take the class, take your time, plan to make it educational from a variety of angles, and make sure you have a strong alliance with the Assistant Instructor before your first beach dive; you will need a compassionate buddy in the surf zone.

I just want to state that your husband shouldn't feel like the bad guy. I think that the statement of diving for yourself and not for others is one of the first things they teach you in diving. So the common thread is from the trained divers who have heard the line before during the actual training and not really targeted at your husband.

I dive solo alot, my wife does not dive and I have never pushed the issue. She does however share my love of harleys, and sailing, and so that is enough. I would never ask her to try to dive because I know of her fear of the water, and only negitive things could come of forcing her to try.:)

Plan on visiting a friend who is moving to Kodiak Island soon. Know the area? any pointers? Plan on visiting in June, hear lots of daylight then.:confused:

you can drive out to fossil beach, its a good senic drive and alot to see on the way out there, about 45 miles, antonelarson bay( hope I have the spelling close) is a good ride, you could see bears at either place, and the salmon should be running at that time of the year. My sister and brother inlaw, and my parents still live up there, so if you would like I could give you a phone number, I dont think that they would mind and they could give you alot of tips. Let me know. It is a wonderful place to visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom