What's so great about scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heath74

Reaction score
I know that statement will offend someone but I don't mean to. My husband was certified in scuba diving last year and wants me to certify also so I can go diving with him. I would love to have another sport that I can enjoy with him and the children besides snowboarding, but there is one problem!! I'm scared. I know this sounds stupid but I'm claustrophobic, don't like water in my ears (although I already know about the goggles with ear cover thingies), afraid of large open water, and I don't want to get anywhere close to sharks or BIG BIG fish. I know this sounds stupid coming from a 23 year old.

What I want to know is. . .is it really worth getting over my fears and worries?

Also, was anyone else scared?

Thanks,
Sara ( Wife of Heath74)

I'll be celebrating the second anniversary of my very first certification dives in two weeks, so I can't be considered an old seawolf, but I can probably express a couple ideas on the subject.

I did 48 dives the first year, I'm at 64 and counting this year, regular cold water diver, I do enjoy a couple trips to exotic places a year.

When I did my two intro dives I was in Australia, just off Cairns, although I had never really considered taking up diving as a sport, I got hooked on the spot: warm, clear water, nice fish in just a few metres, no big fears except the moment when I was enjoying myself so much and probably smiling as well that I almost lost my regulator and almost succeeded in choking...

The Instructor who was conducting the dive brought me up to the surface, asked me if I was OK and asked me if I wanted to go on: of course I did!

When I came back to Europe I decided I wanted to go at it, got in a club and never regretted it.

I reckon though that had I done my intros in a pool I'm not sure I would still be in the business.

One good option would be to try in a warm location, talk to the person responsible for intro dives and have a go: if you still feel uncomfortable, say so, there in no shame in admitting problems, it would be much worse to get yourself booked only to discover later diving is not so much fun.

Let us know how things develop!

Diving is not for everyone. You should not get certified to please someone else. You may be so claustrophobic that you can't dive.

OTOH, diving is extremely relaxing. The underwater world is very beautiful. The companionship you find with other divers is incredible. Diving is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

If you decide to give it a try find an instructor who does not rush a class through in 4 pool sessions. Find one who gives you plenty of time to become comfortable at one point before moving to another. Private lessons are a possibility. You want an instructor who'll make you work, but will give you instruction and time to get through the skills. Mastering difficult skills will give you confidence in yourself and cause your fears to disappear.

I agree with Walter--diving is not for everyone.

Also I agree with chiara--yes its great.

Given your concerns you could try a discover SCUBA session. This is basically a one on one session for about two hours total. Very inexpensive and usually in a pool. It might allow you to make a more informed decision one way or the other.

Also you could consider snorkeling instead of diving.

Walter and jbd are right, scuba isn't for everyone and you should not do it to please someone else. The discover scuba idea is a good one but DO NOT take hubby along! You don't need the extra pressure of him standing there hoping you like it. Heck, you don't even have to tell him you're going.

I've been diving for 9 years now. I'm claustrophobic but with a little work I've found the confines of a wet suit, hood and mask to be comforting rather than scary. You'll never catch me in a cave, that's asking too much. You know your personal limits and you know deep down whether you want to conquer the fears you have. You'll have to look inside yourself and try to see WHY you have the fears you have.

A fear of sharks and big fish may simply be the result of too much t.v. The odds of being struck by lightning are better than the odds of being bitten by a shark. I went on my first shark dive last summer and to tell you the honest truth it was pretty boring. They came, they took turns eating the bait and they left when the bait was gone. Never gave us a second look. The majority of the fish you will see are going to be the "smaller" ones and they are fascinating to watch.

What scares you about large open areas of water? There are dive sites that don't involve such big areas if you don't mind diving water that's a little colder. That's a pleasant experience too.

Water in your ears, well, that's something you can get used to in the tub or local swimming pool. Just take it slow if you want to conquer that one.

Diving opens part of the world to you that the majority of people never get to see anywhere but on t.v. There are a lot of myths out there, if you're getting diving advice from a non-diver don't believe it until you check here because odds are they have no clue what they are talking about.

Was I ever scared? Sure! You can't come up with anything that I haven't already freaked out about! I had a very patient instructor and that's what you'll need too if you REALLY want to be a diver. Don't be afraid to shop around if the instructor you get seems to treat your fears lightly, a good instructor will help you get over them. And feel free to ask any questions here, there are lots of people on the board who have ideas about how to overcome different fears. No question is considered stupid.

Remember, do this for yourself, not for someone else. It's ok if you try it and hate it, diving isn't for everyone.

My motto is: "Try everything 3 times before you decide you don't like it" This goes for everything from diving to eating broccoli. The first time you try something it's really scary because you have little or no idea about what it's like. The second time you try it you've got enough experience under your belt to know what to expect and you will start to notice exactly how you feel about the activity, food, etc. The third time you know exactly what's going on, now is the time for you to decide whether this is for you. If I hadn't given diving 3 tries I wouldn't be doing it now.

Best of luck on your decision, let us know what you decide to do! We're here to help! We'll still like you if you decide not to do it!
Ber :bunny:

Originally posted by Walter
Diving is not for everyone. You should not get certified to please someone else. You may be so claustrophobic that you can't dive.

OTOH, diving is extremely relaxing. The underwater world is very beautiful. The companionship you find with other divers is incredible. Diving is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

If you decide to give it a try find an instructor who does not rush a class through in 4 pool sessions. Find one who gives you plenty of time to become comfortable at one point before moving to another. Private lessons are a possibility. You want an instructor who'll make you work, but will give you instruction and time to get through the skills. Mastering difficult skills will give you confidence in yourself and cause your fears to disappear.

Ditto.... just couldn't say it better, so I'm not going to try.

Where are you located? Perhaps there's a board member near you so you can have a face to face chat.

I think a little needs to be said about having your spouse as a dive buddy. My wife got me started in diving. We dive together. Of all of the hobbies and shared adventures that we have had over the past 26 years, being dive buddies is one of the best relationship building activities that we have undertaken. Some of the other members of the board have shared similar sentiments.

Does diving scare me? Only when I am out of the water. If I sit here and think about it, it still scares me. (I am a new diver.) But once I get in the water, everything is great. All anxiety goes away and is replaced by the details of what I am doing. There were three breakthoughs for me. First, I figured out that, as long as I have the regulator in my mouth, I have plenty of time to solve any problem. Second, I discovered that I can always find the regulator. Third, I learned (from this board) that I have plenty of time to get to the surface if I need to. These things are all experienced in basic open water classes.

In the end, it is your decision and you need to make it for yourself. Diving is probably not something you would want to undertake unless you personally want to do it well.

(BTW, I didn't know that there were any sharks here in Idaho!) Anyway, maybe you might want to talk to mudguppy by private message. She had some real fear issues to get over and she is also in Idaho.

Tell the husband hi!

this is all about me, but maybe it'll help you out, because i think it's relevant:

when i was a kid, i was a total waterbaby, but i grew up landlocked. i would freedive in the deep end of pools and practice swimming well and holding my breath for a long time. i loved the water. i was obsessed with learning to dive since i was 12, and subscribed to skin diver for four years until i was 16 and finally old enough to go through with it.

i relished picking out my fins, snorkel, and mask, the very best, that my parents got me for christmas that year. every week, i looked forward to pool training and thoroughly enjoyed the course.

...then came the certification dives. they took place in a couple of springs in northern florida. when i first got in the water, i dawned on me that i was terrified of deep water! i'd hardly ever been in water over 15 ft. deep, so i locked up on the verge of panic. i tried to descend, but i would find myself instinctively swimming to the surface. not to mention my wetsuit fit poorly, and i was shivering to death in the cold water.

at the second spring, we arrived only to find that the river had flooded and backed up into the spring, dropping the visibility to about three feet. it was then that i also discovered that i couldn't deal with murky water, especially when i couldn't see the bottom. i barely passed the c-dive, only after crying on the tailgate of a truck out of bitter disappointment, before the divemaster about literally dragged me down just to pass me.

i never wanted to dive again. it turned out to be the sum of all my latent fears, fears that i never thought i would have to deal with. it was really earthshattering, because i was a marine biology major, and it just seemed like a crippling defeat!

years pass...eight of them almost to the month...during this time i had been trying to make myself deal with my fears of "big" water. most importantly, i took up surfing, which requires me to paddle out into deepish water where i can't see the bottom or the men in the grey suits *shudder* that live in it. i almost never freak out any more, though it can be scary.

last week i went to hawaii to surf. one day, the swell had dropped, and i noticed a flyer for a dive operation in town. what the hell? i thought and gave them a call. what followed were two (tanks) of the most amazing experiences of my life, made all the more special because it was exactly how i wanted it to be from day one: i didn't freak out. i was fine in the water. i could see the bottom and top at all times. i didn't go into one cavern with the others, because that's still a bit too much for me, but i had a completely awesome time.

moral of the story: if it's really worth it to *you*, don't give up. it might be worth it to you to face some of these fears and get a really amazing experience out of the deal. i never thought i would dive again, but now i am definitely looking forward to the next time (as long as it's not murky water, blue water, or cave diving). on the other hand, if you're just doing this under pressure, then it would be understandable not to pursue. maybe you should just try a one-off checkout dive and see how it goes? be sure it's in warm, clear, shallowish water, though, or you might panic like i did.

good luck!

Hey everyone!

I really appreciate all of the input, it does help me think about it. I especially liked what landlocked and Ber Rabbit had to say because it is safer than what my mind makes it out to be. I would like to hear from Mudguppy. If y'all are from Idaho we'll probably meet sometime, we're over that way once a year visiting ski areas for my husband's business.

I should explain something a little better though. My husband thinks I made him out to be the bad guy, but he's actually really great about it. He got into scuba diving because at sometime in our marriage I said that it would be really fun to go scuba diving and his scout troup was going to take scuba diving lessons for their super activity. It wasn't until he got excited about and all gung ho that I started chickening out. Reality hit a little to hard. I did the same thing with snowboarding but I love it know and love to be out on the mountain, but you will probably never see me make any big jumps.

As for the shark stories I really appreciate it. I know that fear comes from watching jaws as a kid. It doesn't take to much to scare me. I still don't like the movie!!!

Knowing that I will have plenty of time to make decisions as long as the respirator is in my mouth eases my mind considerably. I guess that would be the fear of drowning. As for the fear of big open water? I'd feel the same way deep in the forest and my husband would like if we went on long backpacking trips. That would be the fear of isolation and/or being stranded.

I know I'll like scuba diving if I'll only try it. That's my personality. I'll always be afraid of anything new!! But it usually only takes a few times to get me to like it. I was afraid of getting married too, but thank goodness it only took once to enjoy married life. If I do start lessons I'll let you all know, but I'd still like to hear more stories.

Thank you
Sara

It would really be a good thing for you to interview any prospective scuba instructors (you don't need to let them know they are being interviewed) and see how they make you feel around them. Don't just go to a scuba shop and take whatever comes your way. You might want to sit in on a class and watch how the instructor teaches. If you feel comfortable with the teacher then go ahead and sign up. I am sure that Heath would want you to be selective. If it is possible, get into a class with only a few students.

My wife decided that she wanted to get certified many years ago in
Hawaii... and I just signed her up at a local dive shop without giving it any thought other than "Great - she wants to dive." It was a big mistake. She didn't want to dive.... she want to share something with me that she knew I loved. After one day she was done forever. I was so comfortable in the water it didn't occur to me that she might not be so comfortable (I was young, immature, selfish, stupid - add in any other epitaths ladies.) The instructor was horrible and the class was worse than the typical resort class.

Well we are still married and still in love and three of my four kids are divers and one of my son-in-laws is my #1 DIR dive bud.... but my wife has no desire to ever try diving again.

(this missive is as much for Heath as it is for Sara :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom