What's so great about scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sara

You've had lots of responses but I just thought I might share
my experience. My Open Water Course was an (unwanted)
Christmas Gift 3 years ago. I went along because I didn't want
any hurt feelings.

On my Open Water Course, between the first and second open
water dive, I sat down and cried. I had problems with
buoyancy and a buddy that kept taking off - leaving me feeling
that I had failed - not the course, but the standards I stupidly
set myself - after all, shouldn't you just be able to spend a
few hours in a classroom and a pool, then be able to set forth
in the great blue yonder?

However, I went home smiling, saying how great it was and
mmmm, I'll think about doing it again! However, my birthday
is 21st January and guess what, just 3 weeks after that
Open Water Christmas Present, I was off on my "Birthday"
Advanced course.

The "Drift" component was a nightmare. The current was
running so fast I overshot the exit point and ended up way
past where I should have been, I was soooo embarrassed). The night dive - well, it was cold and raining and late - about 10pm - I still had a fear of shooting to the surface.

The next dive was a boat dive. We dived a small fishing boat
in great vis with a sandy bottom which made me feel that
I had lots of space to play in and my fears seemed to disappear.
I knew from then that I had been my own worst enemy.

As I said, that was 3 years ago and I've been addicted ever
since. I have dived in PNG, the Solomons and in 2 weeks head
off to do the Coolidge in Vanuatu (of course I also do lots
of local dives).

I guess what I am trying to say is, give it a good try - you'll
either love it or hate it - but if you love it, you'll really love it!

I feel I can answer this post with a lot of empathy because I am a self-proclaimed scaredy cat!
I must reiterate what some of the posts have said. You have to research the different certifications, the dive shop, and instructors.
I did the walk-in and sign up route and almost quit several times. I just finished my last class and pool dive. They expect me to go a quarry this weekend but I am pursuing private lessons to feel more confident before I jump in a quarry! I have been in the pool with scuba gear on only 4 times and I need to have more confidence in myself.
One thing I am very comfortable and confident in the equipment- the regulator is your friend! The chance of an animal bothering you is remote- a fish or seal is much more tasty than we humans.
So, research your options and also evaluate your own personal style. I am not a natural athlete and I need to practice just about everything in life to do it well. So for me, a crash course in diving was not appropriate - I know that now. I would do much better in a slower paced, practice until you drop, dive class.
Good luck.

I'll second the Discover Scuba option, but you might also want to take a little time first to become a bit more comfortable in the water (just swimming or snorkeling). I couldn't tell from your post if the only potential issue was the water-in-ears or not. Before my wife and I had our first pool session during training, we spent a few nights in the neighborhood pool practicing our swimming. It had been a number of years since I had been in the water, and even though it wasn't really a big deal, it was nice to have some more recent in-water experience and the confidence that I could complete the swimming portion of the class.

Personally, I think diving is one of the most relaxing things I've ever done. I can't remember the last time I felt as un-stressed and relaxed as I did after our confined water training sessions.

As others have said, don't feel that you have to get certified just 'cause your husband wants you to. While it's nice to share experiences with your spouse, if one person really isn't enjoying the experience, it's no fun.

My wife is pretty claustrophobic (doesn't even like our walk-in closet!), but loves diving. I myself am still uneasy around large, open water. We recently went on a cruise to the Bahamas, and it was kinda scary for me looking over the railing at the back of the ship - if I fell off, they'd never find me! But as for diving, in the excitement of the dive itself, I never even thought about this.

Anyway, I guess my advice would be that if you think you can handle being in the water, give the Discover Scuba session a try and see what you think. If you really enjoy it, you can consider trying to work through the other issues. If you're not enamored with it, then at least you can say you've tried.

Hi Sara.
I have wanted to learn to dive for a long time. Without too much encouragement, my best friend and I enrolled last July. In the shallow end of the pool, it was great fun. Then we went deep. I discovered that I had fears and issues that I was not aware of. One, that I was not comfortable diving with my best friend. I told my instructors "no, I am not okay with that" many times. I had nothing to prove to anybody and if I didn't pass and certify, fine...but I would do this at my own speed and pace. Then we did the open water. 7 mil suit, glove, hood...I felt claustrophobic! I was out of shape and after getting all geared up was worn out before I hit the water. The suit was a challenge. They overlooked me at the shallow skills. The instructor wanted me to go deep to do my skills. I told "no...I haven't done it shallow yet so I'm not doing them deep!" A dive-con came over to me and asked if I was okay. I said "no! I'm not okay!" and started crying. I took a 2 hour break. The instructors wife (also an instructor) worked with me one on one into the evening until I completed. (the dive-con told me later that he never expected to see me in dive gear again..he had left while I took the break).
I relayed the trauma of the day to my husband, and instead of sympathy his comment was "if it's so traumatic and scarey, why do you do it?"

The instructors and I, at the pool one day, were goofing off. They decided to do something called "bail out". You have all your gear, air out of the b.c., tank air off. Jump in with all the gear and get it going and on as you float to the bottom. Teasingly, they said not to worry, I wouldn't do it on the first time. I was scared to death. Having completed the "bail out" the first try and remembering how it was I know why I love scuba diving.
I love a good challenge. I love the quiet and serene environment it creates..no phones, traffic, noisy children. I love how it stimulates me mentally and physically. I love that allI am able to hear are bubbles and watching them float up with the sun shining on them. I love watching the o-rings float away. I love being able to tell what I am feeling by listening to my breath. I love that if i dig deep enough inside myself I can succeed.
My instructors still tease me about being their "wonder child" knowing where I started at.
Scuba diving still scares me. the unkown and things I have not experienced yet are still scarey to me. I've gone at my own pace and have just kept working through specialties thinking that the more knowledge, the less fear and the more comfortable and confident I will be. It helps me become awarre of myself and what I am capable of. It has helped me trust myself and learn to trust my gear and other people. It helps me to show concern for others, to not think of only me and to work as a team. I have a need to progress and learn...to be a climber. Not to show off to others, but for myself.
Something I would suggest would be to certify on your own without your hubby around. It has made me, anyway, a better diver.
If I can do it, anybody can (barring physical restrictions). The trick is weather you'll like it or not.
Keep us all posted on what you decide and how you're doing.
We'd love some more folks to go diving with if you're ever in the area.
Best of luck!

Mudguppy

It is not for everyone.......you must be comfortable in the water whether it is only to 30 ' (such as my own wife ) or to 100' ( such as myself )......and you must be comfortable with whom you will be diving....you must not be one who can be oushed into doing something that you are not comfortable...even if it is your husband doing the pushing......You must be comfortable with your instructor.........Scuba diving you can experience solitude with a buddy.......and as I often joke I can spend quality time with my _________ (insert here ...wife/son/daughter/husband) and yet not have to talk to them for about an hour :) :D :grin:

Sara

I'll be honest with you - I am TERRIFIED of water. People laugh when I then say I LOVE diving! But both statements are true.

I also get chlostrophobic....I can't stand loads of people round me or being in a small space...but the oceans huge and theres a huge surface to escape to if you feel the need arise.

Everyones said diving is not for everyone, and I'd agree 101% and if you don't enjoy something....why are you doing it!

If you want to try diving, try it. Its good that your partner will support you either way as it releases pressures you may feel.

If you get serious chlostrophobia it might not be best to try diving in a pool....maybe a lake might be a better option. But remember, whatever you decide to do - make sure its what you want and your having fun doing it! :wink:

Heath,

I have been diving for 30 years since I was 12. I STILL hate descending in murky water and the bottom touches my fins before I see the bottom....gives me the creeps still.

I also hate jumping overboard if I can see stuff down just below but not quite....still gives me the creeps. Another things that has happened once is a big bat ray creamed into the back of my fins on a night dive....

The point is this stuff still creeps me out, but I would never dream of letting it stop me from doing something really interesting. As to big fish, perhaps you could direct me to some, I will bring my speargun, because I have never seen a fish bigger than 25 lbs. I have caught hundred pound tuna while fishing, but not diving. I have seen a few 50 pound groupers hanging out under docks while I was on top of them, but they just wanted a food handout, just like the family cat and dog.

But then again I have seen sea lions charge me and blow bubbles and bark underwater like a rambunctious puppy dog. I have dove through the middle of a meatball of schooling anchovies and watched bonito and barracuda mauraud through the middle. I have seen little blind pistol shrimp living in symbiotic relationships with gobies in sand holes busily going about cleaning house. I have witnessed things that not very many people will ever witness.

I will never get over some of the things that give me the willies when diving, but I could never let it stop me from watching the awesome spectacle of mother nature.

I'm just starting out in diving. So far, I have found some of the pointers from this board to be most useful. I have been swimming a lot in the competition sized pool. Sometimes I take my fins, mask and snorkel there to alleviate the tedium. I have found somethings like mask clearing to be surprisingly easy, lucky me !
I suppose a lot of your dilemna depends upon your attitude. Like previous posts have stated, diving isn't for everyone. However, if you do get the hang of diving, you'll have a key to a whole new world.
To tell you the truth, I'm more afraid of dancing than being a hundred feet underwater, but if my girlfriend wants to go dancing, I go too.

Sara

Your concerns are entirely understandable. My wife and I did our first try dives last year In Thailand. We enjoyed that and signed up for the OW certification. However, during the confined water training she had a problem with mask clearing and dropped out of the course saying she would hold myself and the other student back. She did come on a couple more dives with a lady divemaster with her on a one to one basis which she enjoyed.

This year and we're off to Thailand again so I asked her whether she wanted another go. She said OK but without any great enthusiasm so I suggested I organise her one on one instruction for the confined water element in a local pool. This largely solved the problem. She was able to progress at her own speed and the Instructor was very patient. I also used the opportunity for a refresher course.

She went to Thailand with a referral from the UK instructor and again I organised her one on one instruction, this time from a Thai lady instructor who was very good. Initially it wasn't going too well (cleared half the mask and then forgot to breathe through her mouth - net result rest of water up nose!) but all of a sudden it clicked. Next thing, in the words of the Dive Center owner, I have a Dive Monster on my hands. Before I know it she has completed the AOW certification, been on wreck dives and the rest.

The points from this are that she only went forward with this because she wanted to do so, not me (although I admit I was pleased when she persevered), and she went forward at her own pace. Finally the quality of her instruction was critical. A second rate instructor in a large group would have finished off her interest for life.

All the best if you decide to have a go.

I'll add my story, as I think it touches on the "don't do it for anyone else" comments...

My wife (girlfriend at the time) had wanted to dive since she was very young. I had absolutely NO interest -- my position was that I could see all of the stuff divers see just by watching episodes of Jacques Cousteau, or the Discovery Channel. While I'm not claustrophobic, I think I had some pretty substantial fears around trusting my life to a metal tank of compressed air and a rubber tube stuck in my mouth!

Well, she went through her training and then went down to San Carlos, Mexico for her cert dives with her best friend. When she returned, I was amazed by the look in her eyes and the glow on her face. As best she could describe her experience, it was clear that this was more than magical to her. I accepted that she had found her "thing", but was also a little upset that she had not found the same enjoyment with snow skiing (one of my big passions).

The next summer, we spent a week in Jamaica at an all-inclusive that had its own dive shop on site. After her first dive, the glow was even brighter!!! Again, she did her best to describe the wonders she had seen, but words were clearly not adequate. So, we went snorkeling that afternoon, and I found myself amazed at the clarity of the water, the variety of sealife, and suddenly I wanted to be "down there". Without much more thought, I signed up for a resort OW course and by the next day, I was diving with her. It was more amazing than I could have ever imagined. We have grown much closer together, especially because we have shared many incredible underwater experiences together over the past 7 years.

Marriage is a partnership. That doesn't mean that you should try to do and love everything your partner does, but I think it does mean that you should at least try to find out what it is about those things that they love. It gives you more insight into what that person loves about this life.

By the same token, our 14 year old son and I enjoy bmx bike racing, and my wife has no interest in this sport. She did try snow skiing a few times, but didn't really enjoy it. However, in both cases, she does understand why these things are important to me, and supports me fully. She has her own hobbies that I am not into, but I know enough about her passion around them to appreciate and support her. In the end, I am grateful that we share a passion for diving and acknowledge how special it is.

Good luck to you,
Scuba Leg

Back
Top Bottom