Drysuit with disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dis-enabled

Registered
Reaction score
Curious if anyone knows someone who is disabled(no use of legs) that has successful been certified in drysuits? I'm a paralyzed male that is still advancing my scuba skills and attempting to take on everything that will better my experiences. I am a naturally cold person, wear full 3mm suit minimum no matter how warm water temp is.
I would like to start doing more off season/cold water diving, but would like to avoid the need of utilizing 7mm+ suits and the idea of staying dry outside the water in cold season sound nice.

After my research it seems the one big challenge is the needing of to removed trapped air from legs. I'm sure there is other challenges that might arise but would be nice to hear if anyone similar to my situation has successfully taking this on?

How do you propel yourself currently?
All arms with webbed gloves. Fairly strong upper body and usually no trouble keeping up with majority of divers, avoid heavy current dives unless drift diving.

Main problem will be correcting your position if/when you go "legs positive". That said, a couple of items that would be necessary would be Gaiters, ankle weights and, pocket weights, that limit air in your legs and keep your lower body negative.

Also, possibly a custom dry suit that is much tighter below the waist than normal.

Gaiters and weights for sure.

How do you find trim in a wetsuit? Can you do some pool dives to try different configurations?

Couple thoughts:

1. Apollo makes an inexpensive neoprene suit with ankle dumps that can be set into an "auto" mode. If you go feet up, air will probably vent out there. (Assuming there's air in the suit and enough pressure difference to vent. You can add pressure by curling your arms and upper body into a ball, forcing the air in the suit into the legs and ultimately out, I suspect.) The downside of this suit is, to my understanding, it only comes in more or less standard sizes. If you're tall and gangly, it'll be a loose fit. If you're short and stout, it would have excessively long arms and legs.

I'm guessing most manufacturers could make a custom suit with ankle dumps added.

2. The feet up issue worries me, since most techniques we teach to flip over involve leg movements. I'll have to try maneuvering out without my legs next time I'm in the pool and see if it can be done with just the arms. I'm guessing it can, especially if you're using webbed gloves for propulsion.

3. Ask any instructor you're considering how many techniques they demo and ask you to try in the pool for getting out of a feet up situation. PADI requires I teach one in the pool. I teach three (forward roll, backward roll, tuck). There may be more versions out there I'm unaware of. If one technique doesn't work, try another. I always tell students I want them to try all three, but odds are in the moment one will feel natural and they should just commit to it. In our case, you may find one is easier than the others. If so, that's what you commit to.

Gaiters and weights for sure.

How do you find trim in a wetsuit? Can you do some pool dives to try different configurations?
I usually don't have trouble maintaining trim in a wetsuit, my legs float in the frog kick position due to the slight buoyancy of my boots which isn't enough to continuously tip me forward. Attached an example.

trimupload.jpg

I do have the a good local dive shop, which I could attempt different setups in the pool. Will have to see the different setups the offer and maybe modify it from there.

Main problem will be correcting your position if/when you go "legs positive". That said, a couple of items that would be necessary would be Gaiters, ankle weights and, pocket weights, that limit air in your legs and keep your lower body negative.

Also, possibly a custom dry suit that is much tighter below the waist than normal.
I was thinking about that, maybe getting a custom suit that restricts/tight enough to only allow a certain amount of air in without it getting out of hand if that possible. I do want my leg to be some what positive though as this what may help me maintain trim with the legs in the from kick position.

Couple thoughts:

1. Apollo makes an inexpensive neoprene suit with ankle dumps that can be set into an "auto" mode. If you go feet up, air will probably vent out there. (Assuming there's air in the suit and enough pressure difference to vent. You can add pressure by curling your arms and upper body into a ball, forcing the air in the suit into the legs and ultimately out, I suspect.) The downside of this suit is, to my understanding, it only comes in more or less standard sizes. If you're tall and gangly, it'll be a loose fit. If you're short and stout, it would have excessively long arms and legs.

I'm guessing most manufacturers could make a custom suit with ankle dumps added.

2. The feet up issue worries me, since most techniques we teach to flip over involve leg movements. I'll have to try maneuvering out without my legs next time I'm in the pool and see if it can be done with just the arms. I'm guessing it can, especially if you're using webbed gloves for propulsion.

3. Ask any instructor you're considering how many techniques they demo and ask you to try in the pool for getting out of a feet up situation. PADI requires I teach one in the pool. I teach three (forward roll, backward roll, tuck). There may be more versions out there I'm unaware of. If one technique doesn't work, try another. I always tell students I want them to try all three, but odds are in the moment one will feel natural and they should just commit to it. In our case, you may find one is easier than the others. If so, that's what you commit to.
yea I'm a relative short and skinny person, so I am sure I would end up getting lost in that suit. The ankle dump sound interesting only thing concerned about with that is just another water entry point.

Would appreciate the feedback next time your in the pool. I was think about the rolling into a ball underwater method to clear excess out, but often wonder about it just getting out of control to the point where I won't be able to gather my legs in time for an out of control ascent.

Will have to go talk to the local dive shop and see what options I have to test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom