What's in your bag, travel tips & tricks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a new netbook (faster and able to run way more software) to replace my ancient Acer. It only has one USB port so I got a splitter that adds three USB 3.0 ports and an ethernet port. I also got a flat ethernet cable (most compact) so that if the modem/router is in my apartment I can wire directly and get faster speed than WiFi.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ethe...s=usb+splitter+with+ethernet+for+laptop&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ether...-1&keywords=10+foot+ethernet+cable+for+laptop

Ah, yes, no crossbody. I find myself carrying it mostly slipped over my wheeled carry on. I hope you find something that works!
Turns out the metal strap buckles are a perfectly workable place to hook a long strap diagonally. A bit closer together than you would usually want for this but works well enough.
5174CB60-F1EB-41E1-9BE0-A5899708EF62.jpeg

Turns out the metal strap buckles are a perfectly workable place to hook a long strap diagonally. A bit closer together than you would usually want for this but works well enough.
View attachment 452284

HEY! You ended up buying and keeping it! Is that the Tumi bag? It looks like the printed one I almost got. :) It looks like that was taken on a plane...How did it work out? Do you like the pockets and size?

Last edited:
Yep. Partly because it was more convenient to return the Amazon one than drive to the Tumi outlet, but it’s working out. I find the smaller pockets too tight for anything but I decided to use a couple mesh packng cubes I had for my little junk.

Learned a great tip on my last trip. I am a solo female traveler and can't believe that this never occurred to me, if your hotel has real keys attached to a key ring with the hotels name always take the keys off and put them on your own ring. That way on one knows where you are staying.

Learned a great tip on my last trip. I am a solo female traveler and can't believe that this never occurred to me, if your hotel has real keys attached to a key ring with the hotels name always take the keys off and put them on your own ring. That way on one knows where you are staying.

Yes, I've been doing that for decades. Sometimes it's necessary just because of the size of the dongle attached to the key ring, lol.

Along with this line of thinking, single women will get asked where they are staying. Response "just down the way".
How long are you here for? Response "Haven't decided yet"

It would be really lovely if more men could just recognize the vulnerability that women live with and the uncomfortable position that these kinds of questions put them in. This is not to say that men should not pursue the possibility of a connection but they should do it in ways that indicate their being open to the possibility without asking the woman to put themselves at risk. I think it's just hard for men to understand and empathize with the reality what it is like to be a woman. Some of the behaviors that men think are acceptable are actually borderline predatory.

I also realize that I'm speaking from an American perspective and it can be very different in other cultures. I'm sorry for the off topic post. Mods feel totally free to delete.

I also realize that I'm speaking from an American perspective and it can be very different in other cultures. I'm sorry for the off topic post. Mods feel totally free to delete.
That's a great "tip" and it's totally on topic for travelers. We should always be sensitive to the emotions of those we travel with and be constantly on the look out for subtle changes. You can often detect the change before your companion does and help avert those bad travel days.

Everyone, I’m thinking of replacing my carry on with this, Travelpro flight crew 5 22" expandable rollaboard black

Looks durable & nice size.
Travelpro is good stuff, had a similar rollaboard for ages. That one lists weight as 9.9 pounds though, seems heavy for a 22” bag. Generally fine for domestic/carribean type travel. But if you will travel on non-US carriers to the Indo-Pacific or other parts of the world you will find the carryon limit is frequently like 15#, and sometimes they do weigh, so a bag like that eats up too much of the allowance.

You can find ultralight bags closer to 5 or 6. I’ve even gotten good deals on a couple nice ones at places like TJ Max. May not be expandable, won’t have as much for pockets and features (which I prefer anyway.). But at least you can pack something.

Back
Top Bottom