What's in your bag, travel tips & tricks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you putting your stuff IN? Specifically, anyone have a underseat-sized tote they really like for air travel? Big inside and small looking outside so it doesn't raise any question about being a personal item. :) I'd like to replace the backpack I usually use but can't seem to find the right bag.
  • No wheels
  • Strap or pocket on the back to put over the handle of a rolling bag, and maybe a cross body strap or backpack straps that tuck away
  • Large water bottle pocket (or 2) for a big refillable water bottle, not just something umbrella/Poland Springs sized (should be such an easy thing but seems rather uncommon!)
  • Pocket that will take a thin 15" laptop. (Many seem to be too small.) And other other useful pockets, but not a zillion useless ones.
  • Main compartment and any outside pockets that zip all the way or close securely so stuff can't fall out. Helpful feature for some inside pockets too, since the bag will probably be on it's side half the time
I want to use it for laptop, tablet, phone, headphones, cables, sunglasses, wallet, munchies, etc. Usually some papers, maybe binocs or a hat, maybe the quart bag, and all the other handy little stuff a gal might take on a plane. Suggestions? Here's a couple like I was considering, but I haven't found one quite right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5CE3ME
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772QWH16
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713T3WJQ

I bought almost exactly what you are looking for at the Tumi outlet not too long ago. The strap can be adjusted to have short handles, medium handles, or long handles and will support a lot of weight but it can't be crossbody. It can be put over a handle of a rolling bag. There is no water bottle specific pocket but there are quick drop-in pockets that will fit a water bottle that is traditionally shaped or one of the Platypus bottles are even better. I believe it will fit a thin 15" laptop but I can't say for sure. It was a little bit more (around $150) but it is really durable and high quality and I am very happy with it.

I can take pictures of it if you PM me your info!

@outofofficebrb, I looked at the tumi bags online and they're really expensive. Were they deeply discounted at the outlet? How much should I expect to spend for the kind of bag you're describing?

@outofofficebrb, I looked at the tumi bags online and they're really expensive. Were they deeply discounted at the outlet? How much should I expect to spend for the kind of bag you're describing?

Mine was $150 or so. I can email or text you the photos! They are outlet exclusives.

@outofofficebrb - yes, please send me a message with pics. I wonder if there's somewhere I can sell all of my bags that I don't use anymore. Actually, I use most of them to store my off-season clothes (and then forget if summer is in that ugly green bag or the big gray roller bag!). Thanks!

So I was near a Tumi outlet tonight and checked it out. I bought one of those bags, though I don't know yet if I'm going to keep it. It looks like the 2 slip pockets on the front might work for water bottles if the bags not too stuffed, I have to test it out. I had also bought another bag to check out that had free returns on Amazon, though it looks like it's out of stock now - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SVNV8U.

They both lack long straps, but maybe I will convince myself I don't need it. I was thinking I could add one to the Lug bag, but I don't know if I can bring myself to mess with the Tumi bag, plus it would be a much tougher bag to sew. The Lug bag has room for my laptop in it's neoprene case but no slip pocket to hold it in place, which I figured I would add too.

Attachments

• tumi.jpg
    tumi.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 164
  • tumiinside.jpg
    tumiinside.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 160
So I was near a Tumi outlet tonight and checked it out. I bought one of those bags, though I don't know yet if I'm going to keep it. It looks like the 2 slip pockets on the front might work for water bottles if the bags not too stuffed, I have to test it out. I had also bought another bag to check out that had free returns on Amazon, though it looks like it's out of stock now - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SVNV8U.

They both lack long straps, but maybe I will convince myself I don't need it. I was thinking I could add one to the Lug bag, but I don't know if I can bring myself to mess with the Tumi bag, plus it would be a much tougher bag to sew. The Lug bag has room for my laptop in it's neoprene case but no slip pocket to hold it in place, which I figured I would add too.

Damsel! I think that’s it. No need to sew. The straps are adjustable like belt buckles and support a lot of weight! Look inside and check it out. You should be able to pick between 3 different adjustments for 3 different lengths. It goes from satchel to tote and in between! The adjustment is in an open pocket right where the handles go down. That’s a good water bottle pocket, instead of the two on front or the zippered one across. It’s just above the zipper.

It is actually bigger in real life than it looks in photos. I will be home tomorrow night so I can also give you more detailed photos and with it full of stuff.

the straps are adjustable some, but like you said ealier not crossbody. It could get kind of heavy and awkward to hang on one shoulder. I'll have to play with it.

the straps are adjustable some, but like you said ealier not crossbody. It could get kind of heavy and awkward to hang on one shoulder. I'll have to play with it.

Ah, yes, no crossbody. I find myself carrying it mostly slipped over my wheeled carry on. I hope you find something that works!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom