What's in your bag, travel tips & tricks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brilliant thread. I was reading another thread about travelling in Indonesia. It's not just what you take, but what you put in your carry-on and what you risk in checked luggage.

I now live by "Remember you're an elephant". Arriving in Malaysia, luggage gone AWOL, and swimwear is in the luggage. Compared to the local women I am the size of an elephant. Can't buy swimwear to fit, can't even get leg into the body of most swimsuits. Only possibility is to go round the two (only two) international hotels and beg to buy used swimwear from people lying by the pool. Luggage did finally arrive. Now I pack my carry-on on the basis of what I can't buy at the destination. Men's T shirts, trousers etc I can get into, but swimwear. . . . .!

In the carry on: -
swimwear,
my mask - can never find one that fits me usually
mould to fit mouthpiece and zip ties (why do they fit hire gear with giant mouthpieces that stop me equalising?)
lightweight nylon drybag
large zip lock back - as someone said before, always useful especially for those nausea moments
flip flops
electric plug adaptor
elastic twist washing line (doubles as a really useful bit of lightweight bungee cord eg fastening that irritating rattling door on the liveaboard, and whatever else turns you on)
as said before - map, useful local phrases,
and the names of the local tummy medicines (local bugs need local medicine) and also the local name of ear infection drops,
bug spray,
Tiger Balm (the white variety) which is brilliant for easing bites and stings and comes in a tiny metal capsule
local currency - small denominations
tissues for those "paperless" locations
a smile - works wonders in most situations

I just read an Elle (magazine) list of 10 things that you must pack for travel. Made me wonder what fellow scuba travelers feel are 'musts' for travel, as well as discover some new travel tips & tricks. I'm posting this in women's perspectives as I am hoping to hear about makeup, clothing, shoes - but also value what you men think as well.

I'll start. One of the things the article mentioned is a big leather bag for day trips. I have owned some big leather bags and I will never fill one of those things up again for a day trip - much too heavy. I prefer the lightest bag I can find - and will sacrifice fashion for function! I always bring a wide brimmed hat that I wear on and off the boat. I always have a pair of cozy socks in my carry-on & wear a sweater/jacket for when the plane gets chilly; Antibiotic ointment that has pain relief stuff in it - and band-aids; take pics of my passport and other important documents and send to an email so I can retrieve the info even if I lose my phone and documents; my first pic on my underwater camera is of a piece of paper that has my name and phone number on it (in case the finder is a good samaritan).

Well I guess our video on how to travel via airplane with scuba gear is semi related to this thread. Maybe some can find it useful.

Here are 2 more for the ones interested in neat little tricks to flying with a back plate and wing.

@Lake Hickory Scuba - I didn't watch all three videos but I really love the idea of videos that address issues that we divers could use some help with. :)

Interesting take on luggage. Disguising a BC as a rucksack looks practical and may not need the sophistication of the wing back pack which was a blooming good idea. Hope he patents it and sells it to Mares
But
for flying with lines like LionAir, Sriwijaya Air, Merpati etc around Indonesia, let alone the exotic (string, gorilla tape) airplanes they use in Central and South America, you need to get the weight down. And it could be your own, because some of them weigh you together with your luggage.

Interesting take on luggage. Disguising a BC as a rucksack looks practical and may not need the sophistication of the wing back pack which was a blooming good idea. Hope he patents it and sells it to Mares
But
for flying with lines like LionAir, Sriwijaya Air, Merpati etc around Indonesia, let alone the exotic (string, gorilla tape) airplanes they use in Central and South America, you need to get the weight down. And it could be your own, because some of them weigh you together with your luggage.

Since posting this video on YouTube, I can say we have not had any trouble with airlines allowing us on the plane with a big heavy steel plate on our back. As traveling divers, we are always trying to find new ways to lighten our gear for easier stress free travel.

@morecowbells - could you please tell me if you rinse the gear really well after using the fels naptha or do you use it like 'sink the stink'? I love the ease of using 'sink the stink' because it requires no rinsing. Thanks!

I would have to say I use it for both, but especially sink the stink(I love that phrase by the way!). Against DAN advise, I have to admit that there is nothing like a nice long, warm shower after diving. I will rub some of the dry Fels Naptha bar or granules on my swim suit and wetsuit, then chuck it into the shower. I then proceed to shower with the said items near my feet. While shampooing, soaping up and conditioning, I will periodically stomp on items, like I am at a vineyard in Tuscany. After my shower I drape items over faucet handles or whatever else there is in the shower. Before going to bed, I then hang items on patio to finish drying. By morning, they are(hopefully) dry and fresh smelling. As stated before, the Fels Naptha smells somewhat like a milder version of Pine Sol. The advantage of the Fels Naptha is that it is not a liquid so doesn't squeeze out my space for other liquids. I was just at Whole Foods, they also carry the Fels Naptha.

I got my fels naptha at Walmart - probably cheaper than at whole-paycheck! I guess I'll shred some and see how it goes. Thanks!

What are you putting your stuff IN? Specifically, anyone have a underseat-sized tote they really like for air travel? Big inside and small looking outside so it doesn't raise any question about being a personal item. :) I'd like to replace the backpack I usually use but can't seem to find the right bag.
  • No wheels
  • Strap or pocket on the back to put over the handle of a rolling bag, and maybe a cross body strap or backpack straps that tuck away
  • Large water bottle pocket (or 2) for a big refillable water bottle, not just something umbrella/Poland Springs sized (should be such an easy thing but seems rather uncommon!)
  • Pocket that will take a thin 15" laptop. (Many seem to be too small.) And other other useful pockets, but not a zillion useless ones.
  • Main compartment and any outside pockets that zip all the way or close securely so stuff can't fall out. Helpful feature for some inside pockets too, since the bag will probably be on it's side half the time
I want to use it for laptop, tablet, phone, headphones, cables, sunglasses, wallet, munchies, etc. Usually some papers, maybe binocs or a hat, maybe the quart bag, and all the other handy little stuff a gal might take on a plane. Suggestions? Here's a couple like I was considering, but I haven't found one quite right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5CE3ME
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772QWH16
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713T3WJQ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom