What's in your bag, travel tips & tricks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot pof good advise.
I always also bring:
a lighter (to melt cord ends and I guess one could start a fire...)
an emergency blanket (no idea why, especially to warm places, used one 30 some years ago on snow with someone injured and probably carried one around uselessly for 30 years, but could come in handy for warmth, signaling, water collection, sun protection, drip cloth on carpet...)
- an extra length of cordage (always something to dry)
- some duct tape or gorilla tape
- some gallon and quart size zip loc freezer bags
- some pocket knife that is not buried in the fix a five kit and has a small saw (a weird preference for in case), an awl and more importantly a corkscrew
- small headlamp that can be locked out (to not go on in luggage) + spare AAAs
- small sewing kit, sometimes (outdoorsing or diving).with sturdier thread and needle
- and since forgotten on my bery first dive trip already, I make doubly sure I have all charging cords including the one just used to charge my DC prior to departure.
- first aid kit and antibiotic ointment probably were mentioned... I like tweezers in there & a needle (splinters) tweezers with magnifiers seem to be what I need these days... pending where you go a tick card / remover...
- spare reading glasses in every bag...
- pending where, I bring a headnet (goes over brimmed sun hat, weighs nothing, can be used for laundry items hanging, airing out a little....)
- some kind of boonies sun hat, with chin strap, floating... dark underbrim, brighter on top...

I ended up buying a hoodie as well for more casual, less weight concerning travel and running errands when I don’t want to take a bag.

How do you like the hoodie? Did you find you needed to order a size up for it to hold your stuff and fit comfortably?

How do you like the hoodie? Did you find you needed to order a size up for it to hold your stuff and fit comfortably?

It's interesting you ask...I was going back and forth about sizing for a week or two because I read numerous reviews that said the hoodie ran small. I finally ordered my normal size and it was perfect - even if I stuffed it with items. I got the Chloe Glow in black. I do wish the hood were more voluminous so that it were cozier to sleep in on planes and for more privacy but otherwise, it's great. It's actually a quite flattering fit. I wouldn't buy any of their products full price, though - they always have at least a 30% sale or code floating around. Let me know if you have any other Q's!

I prefer the lightest bag I can find - and will sacrifice fashion for function!
Bingo! I learned to pack a packable pack for when I go on a surface safari. :D

61Lblot3KuL._SL1000_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W243AF4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also pack some clothe pins.

Then, since I have so many things to charge and power (like my c-pap) I take a multiple outlet with lots of USB charging stations.

Btw, I bought my son a ScottEVest jacket for his birthday - to experiment - and he LOVES it!!!

Thanks for this tip - never heard of this product. I don't think I'll spring for the full jacket but the vest for $125 maybe. Looks like I could use it and get rid of my personal carry-on item and just have the carry-on bag to deal with.

Thanks for this tip - never heard of this product. I don't think I'll spring for the full jacket but the vest for $125 maybe. Looks like I could use it and get rid of my personal carry-on item and just have the carry-on bag to deal with.

You can get 30% off by referring yourself. :wink: don’t pay full price for it!

AmEx Platnium. Anything more weighs too much.

As a long distance bicyclist i go for the "FasterCard Titanium"

"FasterCard Titanium, is the first credit card ever to be made from Titanium 3AL 2.5V alloy for light weight and durability. In addition, the FasterCard Titanium, is drilled out for increased lightness, without compromising the embossed numerals or the special rare-earth magnetic stripe on the back."

fastercard-hand-white.jpg

FasterCard, the Credit Card Touring Cyclist's Credit Card!

I put some hot glue on the shaft of a wooden match, then I vacuum pack them in plastic. You can never know when you need some hot glue to repair something.

Next week is my first big dive trip. We did a test trip to Sarasota last month & I love those new wrappy scarf things that acts like a pillow. Also sounds weird - but I bring a scarf and (especially if I’m stuck in the middle) I wrap around my thighs and tie them together that way I can relax or sleep without taking over my seat mates leg space.

And individually wrapped life savers to get the salt out of your mouth between dives, help with ears, etc! But that’s for the dive boat not the plane.

... I prefer the lightest bag I can find - and will sacrifice fashion for function! ..

This is the one I used on my last trip. It's a dry bag with an external and an internal pocket. Unbelievably light, worked fine as a carry-on "personal item". and was great to drag snorkeling gear along when that's all I was going to do, was great for shopping, and I didn't have to worry about it (or anything inside getting wet when I was out in the rain. It costs a bit more than the Chairman's bag but worth it for me. The padded straps are a big plus and the bag is feather light but will hold a ton of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JMVTROC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom