What's going at Blue Angel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Psst: The electricity was restored, so there's nothing else to discuss here ....

we will see. Just my honest opinion and I'm no long timer on this board but it's attitudes of " if you don't like a thread just go away" that leads to boards with very little traffic .
Don't worry this is about the time robint will start a SHOW ME YOUR SEA CUCUMBER!!! thread. After that this will all fade away.

Don't worry this is about the time robint will start a SHOW ME YOUR SEA CUCUMBER!!! thread. After that this will all fade away.

True that. She has been slacking. She should have paced herself more. I couldn't keep up with trying to find pics for those threads.

My coffee came out my nose when I read that. It's the most sensible post thus far in this thread.

What I will say is that it's true that costs have no influence on prices, to a degree, but costs are related to the product you are offering, for instance it costs more to make a Ferrari engine than a Ford F-150 engine and there for costs do bear on the price of the product
​You're a contractor, yet you say costs have no influence on prices? So when you make a bid, you just pick some random numbers?

I may be wrong, but I faintly recall solar panels were installed at BA a few years ago, although I may be mistaken.
That was solar thermal (hot water) not photovoltaics (electricity).

---------- Post added November 11th, 2013 at 06:44 PM ----------

They shut the power off and told her it's not coming on until you give us $60k. That's not corruption? they should have left the power on. After a few months they could get a accurate guess of how slow the meter was and present her with a fair bill for the difference. What they did wasn't only corrupt, it was extortion too.
A friend of mine pulled a similar stunt here in the States, and the electric utility reacted in precisely the same way. And if you don't pay your bill, they will cut you off. The electric company did not necessarily do that to try and get that money from her, they did it to ensure the issue was addressed promptly, which it was. Just because you don't agree with a business practice, that doesn't define it as corrupt.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2013 at 06:57 PM ----------

Nope - I asked her about it last week! She would LOVE to do it though! It's a BIG up front investment for the hotel because of the amount she would need
The installation would be a challenging one. The roof of a multistory building with no parapet a few yards from the water in a hurricane wind load zone is a very difficult place to securely rack solar modules.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying Gordon, I probably should have been more specific when I mentioned the corruption angle. The thing that got me wasn't the turning the power off, it was the instant 60k bill. THAT seemed out of line and shady to me. I'm not sure what investigative steps a utility company in the states would take to determine the amount back-owed, but I'd sure hope there would be some process in place and not just a seemingly random number thrown out as a negotiating starting point.

we will see. Just my honest opinion and I'm no long timer on this board but it's attitudes of " if you dont like a thread just go away" that leads to boards with very little traffic .
Most take the easy way and stop reading the thread they're tired of. There are many other active threads.

I hear what you're saying Gordon, I probably should have been more specific when I mentioned the corruption angle. The thing that got me wasn't the turning the power off, it was the instant 60k bill. THAT seemed out of line and shady to me. I'm not sure what investigative steps a utility company in the states would take to determine the amount back-owed, but I'd sure hope there would be some process in place and not just a seemingly random number thrown out as a negotiating starting point.

Well, I guess you don't know that 60K wasn't the result of some sort of calculation. Hard to judge how much power might have been stolen especially if they have no idea how long it has been there and how 'well' it worked.

And is it 60K US or pesos? I guess it must be dollars. Peso would only be like 4500US.

That was solar thermal (hot water) not photovoltaics (electricity).

Oh, thanks Gordon. I knew I remembered about SOMETHING solar. So to be clear then, they get their hot water from solar power?

Back
Top Bottom