What's an Average cost for Annual reg service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MY01SHADOW

Reaction score
Hello,

Can you guys and gals give me an idea of what to expect to pay for annual service for my regulator/octo/1st stage?

Thanks,

Mike

I just paid $105 for parts and service for my Scubapro MK15, D400, +Octo set up that is out of warranty. If I had purchased my set up new with a warranty, the cost would have only been $50 for the service since Scubapro provides free parts. My brother just got his Conshelf SE2 setup serviced from the same LDS for $85. I guess parts must be less for that setup.

You'll see prices fluxuate based on the local shop and what is included.

I've seen it from $25 to $75, but then again I'm not sure what's included. Some places might include parts or certain parts and some might not. Note that parts can be expensive if your regulator is "out of warranty" that included parts.

I think that most places will easily charge $50 to $60 for the entire set (1st stage, 2nd stages (main and octo) and gauges). Expect ot pay extra for computer batteries if they change them.

For another comparison of what parts costs..... my LDS charges $60 (labor) for regulator/octo/gauges. A friend just went in and got a regulator he bought on EBAY done and had all the o-rings, diaphrams, etc replaced "out of warranty" and total cost was about $120. So those parts cost about $60 bucks

dimitrik:
I just paid $105 for parts and service for my Scubapro MK15, D400, +Octo set up that is out of warranty. If I had purchased my set up new with a warranty, the cost would have only been $50 for the service since Scubapro provides free parts. My brother just got his Conshelf SE2 setup serviced from the same LDS for $85. I guess parts must be less for that setup.

o-rings: $5
two hours of my time $200
Knowing that it done right: Priceless.

dimitrik:
The dealer cost on a D400 annual service kit is $8.25, a Mk 15 kit is $10.25, and an R190 kit is $3.25. So dealer cost for the parts is $21.75.

Charging you $55 for parts was basically a 250% markup. SP has no price controls on parts so dealers are free to sell them as low as they want, right down to selling them at cost, so your dealer made $33.25 profit off you on parts.

On the other hand labor is normally $25.00 per stage. So $75 for labor, $21.75 for parts and 7% sales tax would bring it to about $103 and by that standard, $105.00 could still be considered "fair". I suspect your LDS may be putting a bit of spin on the cost of parts to encourage you to buy a new reg with a warranty without actually ripping you off. Saying you'll save $55.00 per year on parts rather than $21.75 is a lot more enticing.

Being a long way from salt water, having a much less lucrative market, and not being afflicted with the god like ego that seems to afflict salt water dive shops, we charge $30 for service and usually sell the parts to regular customers at or near the SP plus shipping cost. So a MK 15/D400/R190 would run about $55.00 with tax. We do have people ship regs to us on occasion as paying shipping both ways is still cheaper than paying higher parts and labor costs.

Thanks for the great information on what service kits truly cost. I will keep you in mind when it's time to service my setup again.

next question on this.

How "long" does it take to service a regulator set? (1st, 2nd stages, gauges, etc).

I would imagine it would take an hour or two easy if you do it right and run "test" on it.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
LDS round me charge about $45.00 plus parts.

Same here...$105 seems a lot for annual service...I had one servicing cost me $97 but it included a new console boot, pin and caps (holding compass), exhaust valve, a new regulator control knob, and annual kits for the first, second, and octopus all out of warranty.

They run around $55-$75 with labor and annual parts around here. The shops I go to put all the old parts in a bag and staple them to the service ticket; that way you can see what service has been performed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom