What's a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is getting tedious ... :bluthinki

Everyone, even the most experienced OC diver, is a newbie when he or she
first starts diving any rebreather. The smart ones humbly accept that.
The dumb ones who can't master their ego dive past their RB training, past
their RB experience, past their RB limits. Some are lucky and survive.
Some don't get away with it. :(

daniel f aleman:
Skydiving from tall buildings is fun too - and very easy...

Some of us on this forum do have equivalent experiences...however, as a courtesy you shouldn't bandy about someone's name without their acknowledgement especially if you are using it as a bludgeon to get your weak point across.

Hi Alex,

Not sure if you ever got the answer for:

mermaid8773:
What's OC stand for?

but my best guess is that OC stands for Open Circuit. That being the standard 1st stage and 2nd stage where one exhales into the blue.

This thread really did let the cat out bag, only to find its self sitting on the tracks, staring at a speeding train named Curiosity!

very intense... :shiner1:

Dumb question but I remember reading or maybe when I visited the Seal/UDT museam that rebreathers were around before scuba. How did the old timers deal with the complexity, especially when we they did not have the microchips like we do today?

ams511:
Dumb question but I remember reading or maybe when I visited the Seal/UDT museam that rebreathers were around before scuba. How did the old timers deal with the complexity, especially when we they did not have the microchips like we do today?

They stayed shallow. I am sure you saw pure oxygen rebreather? Additionally, there were OC devices used during the 1800's. One was called a Brize Fradin and also the Rouquayrol device. A google search will reveal some fun photos.

X

pretty sure that referring to a rebreather as a "death box" is going above and beyond the limits of the term dangourous. especcly because this persons is a new and impressinoble diver.

(sorry cant spell)

I will have to say, I've never read a long flaming post right to the end, but this one was funny as hell.

I love it when open water instructors started spewing about everything to do with diving when for the most part their experience is limited to, well, open water classes!

There is a young guy that dives locally who now has, Oooo..., wait for it, 200 dives and most of them are to...hold your breath...60 feet with open water students.

He is now "qualified" opinion on deep diving and all sorts of other stuff. Pretty interesting. You should hear him talk around divers. Bwhahaha...

Well, seeing as I dive with a death in a box (I think I shall now refer to it as DIAB), I better listen to what this open water instructor has to say. Especially when he says that trimix is even harder to monitor than nitrox. Hmm...I must not be reading my PO2 guages right. Because I stared at it really hard yesterday and couldn't find my trimix monitoring sensor.

During my dive partner's KISS class, there was a KISS student who had only just finished his OW class. So his 5th dive was on a rebreather. Ok, so he didn't know how to frog kick and his buoyancy was more than a little off, but he lived through it and I saw him on a wreck dive this year and he looked fine.

I think for SOME people, diving CCR can be done relatively easily. But probably much harder for others. But those "other" people are having a hard time sharpening pencil. So that's not really much of a benchmark.

My KISS instructor argues and CC is safer than OC because of the amount of time you have. Let's say you are trapped in a cave or wreck or even wrapped in fishing line. Time is not a concern because you have tons of gas! You can take all the time you need to untangle yourself or whatever. If you were diving OC, you had better and get your *** out of there. I pretty much agree with that.

So I would certainly encourage anyone who is interested in rebreathers to do some research in to what works best for you. A rebreather is not for everybody because of a multitude of issues. Cost, complexity, lack of dealers in your area, lack of dive buddies and (I think this last one is really important) if your dive area does not require it (by that I mean if your local consists of mostly very shallow reefs and nothing else AND OC air is VERY easy to get, then why not just stay OC).

However in the same breath (no pun intended) rebreathers are great because of a multitude of reasons, no bubbles, warm and moist breathing gas, better gas mixture, REALLY cheap to dive compared to OC cost in nitrox and trimix, lighter than a set of steel twins, much longer time available to you in the water....did I miss anything?

Cheers and fun diving to those who are diving DIAB. :D

Ya think.

I AGree!!....MANY instructors know nothing of CC. Unless they teach it and dive it. O and do not blow an O-ring on this one..:wink:

Safe dives.

Henry:
I love it when open water instructors started spewing about everything to do with diving when for the most part their experience is limited to, well, open water classes!

Back
Top Bottom