What's a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A rebreather is a type of SCUBA apparatus that recycles the air (not really air but..) that you breahe, cleans it, and allows you to breathe it again. They give off little to no bubbles, and allow a small tank suppply to last a very long time. They are also fairly small in many cases, and certainly lighter than carrying a lot of tanks around.

Welcome to the boards.

Awesome.....so, I assume this is another class to add on to your C-card, huh? Can it be done thru PADI, or must it be done through another agency?

Thanks for the warm welcome.....I'm loving it here. This place has an absolute plethera of information!

Big Hugs~

Alix

mermaid8773:
Awesome.....so, I assume this is another class to add on to your C-card, huh? Can it be done thru PADI, or must it be done through another agency?

Thanks for the warm welcome.....I'm loving it here. This place has an absolute plethera of information!

Big Hugs~

Alix
Hi Alix,

The rebreather classes are done by the manufacturers - In fact they won't sell you one unless you do the classes.
Beware though, a rebreather is a quite complex piece of machinery - In my scuba club they're usually referred to as Death in a box because so many divers have died using them. Although this is probably not entirely fair to the poor fellas using the rebreathers, it is true that they are far more complex to use than regular scuba equipment, so in general terms, most people don't start using one before they're quite experienced. (As in 200+ dives on Open Circuit)

Not to mention, they're really expensive - The AP Evolution starts around $8000 (Depending on exchange rate) and the more advanced Oraboras (Produced by Delta P) is closer to $16000

Still.. Ever so tempting..

E:)

espenskogen:
Hi Alix,

The rebreather classes are done by the manufacturers - In fact they won't sell you one unless you do the classes.
Beware though, a rebreather is a quite complex piece of machinery - In my scuba club they're usually referred to as Death in a box because so many divers have died using them. Although this is probably not entirely fair to the poor fellas using the rebreathers, it is true that they are far more complex to use than regular scuba equipment, so in general terms, most people don't start using one before they're quite experienced. (As in 200+ dives on Open Circuit)

Not to mention, they're really expensive - The AP Evolution starts around $8000 (Depending on exchange rate) and the more advanced Oraboras (Produced by Delta P) is closer to $16000

Still.. Ever so tempting..

E:)

This is the same guy who said you can get bent from a 40cm error in deco stop and now you're saying how dangerous rebreathers are. Listen man why don't you take up golf, you'll be much safer!

wedivebc:
This is the same guy who said you can get bent from a 40cm error in deco stop and now you're saying how dangerous rebreathers are. Listen man why don't you take up golf, you'll be much safer!
But but but.....he's a Dive Master

mermaid8773:

Big Hugs~

Alix
Good questions. PADI does have rebreather training for the Draeger Dolphin/ Atlantis and the RAY which are semi closed rebreathers (SCR). Newer fully closed units such as the Sport Kiss will soon replace the SCR as the price is very competetive, and they are more capable. Many training agencies train different rebreathers such as ANDI, TDI, IANTD and others. Rebreathers have many benefits over open circuit and are much different in many ways. One is not greater danger. They do require a high level of maintenance in most cases and the training is much more extensive than open circuit scuba but they are used safely by thousands of divers every day. I will be diving this afternoon with 3 other rebreather divers. Although I sometimes dive open circuit, rebreather is my preferred method and I do about 3/4 of my diving that way.

JeffG:
But but but.....he's a Dive Master
OOOOps missed that, Sorry there sport.

wedivebc:

Didn't say it's that dangerous, it's just much more complex than OC. But hey - if you think it's dead safe, then that's your perogative. Personally, I wouldn't dive one until I had lots of dives on OC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom