What's a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with the right training and experiance you can use anything but with out training and a little comment sence you cant ive seen divers go full cave right from open water all in the first year and be great divers and also seen great open water divers who have hundreds of dives look like dumb *****es if you are wanting to get in to rebreather i say go for it as an open water dive going to rebreather in open water as long as you get the training and dont push you self to fast be safe and enjoy. as for this board is a great place for info and full of nice people but dont believe everything you read as you can already tell there is alot of un true stuff all thought the board does try to keep it real ps please excuse my poor grammer

I was just about to make fun of you Warren for spending to much time on SB then I realized I read every post up to yours so........:D

DS tank wipe:
I was just about to make fun of you Warren for spending to much time on SB then I realized I read every post up to yours so........:D

Better change your avatar when you get your yellow box too.

Nice to meet you Alex at Outdoor adventure show..

P'sWarren i didn't you guys here aswell.. i just sign last week..Hilariuos

cant we all just get along and answer the beautiul lady's question? lol to answer, a rebreather is a complicated device, used to "recycle" the air you breathe....unlike some im not very knowledgable on these things so im stopping my post here :D its been entertaining none the less!

ok.,... a rebreather is a freakin expensive peice of equipment that hubbys got to have so that they no longer will dive with bubbles and use 2ltr tanks to recycle thier air for between 2hrs to 8hrs of diving - depending on the scrubber

oh, and once you accept the concept of having one in your home.... you start thinking that you need one yourself!

Hi,every body. I have some questions about the Re-Breather system. My Girl and I were just talking on the phone, about our trip to Florida. She told me that she 's got some information about the Re-Breather. I told her about how I can't dive because of me having Tubes in my ears. And she told that there's this Scuba Instructor who teaches people how to use them in very shallow Reefs, in Florida. After all she's a Nurse. I trust her, because she told me that we're going to try this Re-Breather, and that she'll be with me the whole time. My questions to any one are, how safe will it be for me to use it, even though I have tubes in my ears? Is there a slight chance that I could still rupture my ear drums, diving with the re-breather? I would really appreciate some response. And, I have one more question. Could I rupture my ear drums while using the re-breather, in 12 feet or 7 feet of water? Thank you for your time, in responding to my 3 questions. Sincerely, snorkelcorey.

Actually diving a rebreather tends to be harder on your ears than diving OC, post dive anyway. Some people have to equalize for a while after getting out of the water.

snorkelcorey:
My questions to any one are, how safe will it be for me to use it, even though I have tubes in my ears? Is there a slight chance that I could still rupture my ear drums, diving with the re-breather? I would really appreciate some response. And, I have one more question. Could I rupture my ear drums while using the re-breather, in 12 feet or 7 feet of water? Thank you for your time, in responding to my 3 questions. Sincerely, snorkelcorey.

Hi snorkelcorey,
I am a physician practicing medicine in the State of California and Japan. I am also a PADI divemaster diving a Draeger's Dolphin rebreather. Thus, I think I am qualified to answer your questions.

You have tubes in your ears probably because you have got chronic exudative otitis media, which is a long-lasting inflammation in your middle ear. I am very sorry to say that this condition itself prohibits you from diving of any kind, either by using the open or closed circuit. It does not matter how shallow your diving could be, either.

The reason is that the tube placed in your ear drum allows air or water to move freely in and out of your middle ear cavity. In case of air, it facilitates healing process of the inflammation, whereas, in case of sea water, it worsens the inflammation. As you easily understand, if you put your head underwater, your otitis media may get worse. My best suggestion is that you talk to your ENT doctor before planning to dive in Florida. In my opinion, you can enjoy Florida on the ground but not underwater.

I hope this will help you.

Ken Chung Arasaki

Back
Top Bottom