What's a "badass" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was near Ginnie when an 85 pound 5' tall young lady and her huge boyfriend started toting stages and scooters down to the waters edge.2 scooters each and 4 stages each.They had done a setup dive to stage extras in the system the day before.She was lost in all the gear once they got in the water.The doubles alone weighed more than her and she insisted on carrying her share of gear.

But yeah recreational divers with 50 dives and a MSD patch need not apply.I do that in a given 2 week period during the summer and consider myself moderately competent with thousands of dives and full tri-mix.

My wife told me to go to Florida for my CCR training after she got her cancer diagnosis, and then sent me to Bonaire for a week during her radiation treatment.

I may not be a badass diver, but my wife is definitely a badass dive wife! (and a decent diver when she gets back in the water)

the overweight sixty-something speedo wearing Canuck on the dive boat bending over to pick something up :fear:
Whoa. All I need now is the speedo.

My wife told me to go to Florida for my CCR training after she got her cancer diagnosis, and then sent me to Bonaire for a week during her radiation treatment.

I may not be a badass diver, but my wife is definitely a badass dive wife! (and a decent diver when she gets back in the water)

There is a specific green plant that can help your wife. I know some states allow the use of medical plants, I know it works.

What is a badass diver....?
I think that now that diving has grown up, and we have the internet we forget to much. I think a badass is the divers who went before us. The true pioneers who helped define standards and limits that we now take for granted. We stand on the shoulders of giants who went way to far, on gear that was not designed for the depth it was used. Some paid the ultimate price. We reflect now and say that that some who perished acted foolishly, it was their passing that defined that position.
YMMV
Eric

dive-gear-junkie.jpg
This guy right here or alternatively the guy with the denim jacket with his PADI Night Diver and PADI MSD patches sewn on the shoulder..

My real answer...It's a tough question to answer since of the some of the people I've met that I consider "badass" divers are very modest and soft spoken and would not consider themselves "badass" dives at all. They are constantly learning and analyzing what they do. I would say someone who is constantly pushing new limits (diving new challenging wrecks, new cave passages, pushing new boundaries and depths) safely or someone who was a true pioneer. Obviously all of these carry risks but someone who calculates these risks and plans for them in my mind is a "badass" diver.

A bounce dive to 350ft on a single tank only makes someone look "badass" in their own mind.. I've met several people in their own mind who think this makes them badass. To me, it makes them a walking accident on living on borrowed time.

According to the Are dry gloves kosher? thread, some divers apparently are "badass". I started wondering, what makes a dive - or a diver - diver "badass"? Long dives? Deep dives? Cold water? Poor viz? Currents? Feel free to suggest, discuss and elaborate.

(Yes, a bit of tongue in cheek here :) )

I once did a dive where my computer showed a water temperature of -2C. I felt pretty bad ass. :D

In actual fact, I think the term "bad ass" is applied by the younger generation to mean things that some of us wouldn't think to write home about. To them, "bad ass" really means you pooped on the toilet seat.

R..

A bounce dive to 350ft on a single tank only makes someone look "badass" in their own mind..

... that's a dumbass diver ...

---------- Post added April 24th, 2015 at 12:47 PM ----------

I once did a dive where my computer showed a water temperature of -2C...

... and that's a numbass diver ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In the current edition of the Descent Dictionary, you would find ...

bad
• ass noun (plural badasses)

1. Any diver who is prepared to do something that I would never do.
2. Any diver who is prepared to do something that I consider difficult or challenging.
3. Any diver who looks better in the water than I do.

How many divers is that? The huge majority of them.

My equipment purchases are guided by a hacker's desire to disassemble, destroy and discard.

My fashion statement is "I know it's ugly, but it's functional. At least, I think it's still functioning."

My answer to the question, "Hey, wanna go in a cave?" is ... are you kidding? Not in a million f***ing years. Shudder.

Who are my heroes? Everybody else on ScubaBoard. I love you people.

And all the Commercial Super Saturated / Chamber divers, those are the Top Dogs, really nuts of steal, all those days inside a vessel, in a confined space, talking like Donald Duck, and that any minimum thing that go wrong will send you to the graveyard, yeah hands down they are the Top guys of the Badass divers.

Those people are crazy! I did that once and I would never do it again! When you go that deep and stay that long you are effectively dead until the topside crew brings you back to life 28 days later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom