What's a "badass" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... that's a jackass diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, THIS is a Jackass diver:

tumblr_nai8bb08GR1qzikspo1_500.jpg

Muck diving? More like YUCK diving! (you do NOT want to know what that is)

Bad asses come in many flavors (pun not intended). Some save lives. Others wear tight pants, and use foul language. Some dive in caves where noone has been before, and offer great advice to any question one may ask. Yet some others radiate the wisdom and kindness of a Jedi master instructor trainer, and have their own dedicated following. All bad asses inspire me.

Last edited:
One who patronizes BadAss Café in Destin wearing his MSD cap.

navy_seal_combat_divers_by_calvinscustom-d6o373b.jpg

I am am just a recreational diver...I stand humbly before true "Badass Divers".

You can see how 'stressed' they are........... see the masks on the forehead :sarcasm:

According to the Are dry gloves kosher? thread, some divers apparently are "badass". I started wondering, what makes a dive - or a diver - diver "badass"? Long dives? Deep dives? Cold water? Poor viz? Currents? Feel free to suggest, discuss and elaborate.

(Yes, a bit of tongue in cheek here :) )
In general, preparedness, experience and the evolving Wisdom that results. Read the below anecdote & aphorism in my signature line. . .

No, THIS is a Jackass diver:

View attachment 207239

Muck diving? More like YUCK diving! (you do NOT want to know what that is)

That is Shait right ?

It look like shait, it smell like shait, it feels like shait, uhmm it taste like shait, oooohhh watch out IT IS SHAIT

You can see how 'stressed' they are........... see the masks on the forehead :sarcasm:

Ha ha that's funny. Always hated that stupid rule. Everytime my instructor caught me doing it I had to pay him a dollar. He made good money off me.

Any 5 ' zip female diver over age 50 who swaggers around in backmount doubles & stages that out weigh her.

Yay, I'm a badass diver! (Although I'm not sure the shuffling gait I use in doubles qualifies as a swagger.)

To me, badass divers are the people doing the dives I wouldn't contemplate doing, because they are deep, long, difficult, and risky. And doing them well, and safely. Edd definitely qualifies! But my gentle friend Ben Martinez is definitely a badass diver, as is my friend Josh Smith, who has seen much of the rusty metal in the bottom of the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Natalie Gibb, my 4'11" friend who teaches cave diving, can stand up from the ground in double 80's that outweigh her -- that's definitely badass. Jarrod Jablonski, who can do 7 kilometers underground in the 300 foot range, and also tango underwater, is definitely badass.

Badass doesn't mean posturing or swagger. Badass quietly gets the job done, and the job is amazing :)

In combat you don't wear your mask around your neck. Get's in the way and interferes with communication devices.

he was badass.
he dove the britanic on a double hose reg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ShLUtrj2s

What an excellent video, that is a Badass old lady, I have always liked the yellow lined wet-suits, this video brings memories back when I was around 7 year old watching Cousteau documentaries on TV.

Funny how they treated the High pressure cylinders, I know they take some abuse, but heck Now days you get fired if they see that.

That setup of scuba tanks are 100's HP's ??, you don't see triplets setup's anymore.

with their dive masks, I guess they mastered how to equalize by moving their jaws while descending that quick

They clock'd 370ft - 112m, in my category of badass divers on OC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom