What's a "badass" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badass divers have perfect skills nailed down. Sure they do deep tec dives, wreck penetrations, CCR, caves and have thousands of dives behind them. But what makes them badass is that when other divers see them on a simple 70" drift dive those other divers say "I want to dive like that".

A diver is badass when sharks have a Discovery Week for him or her.

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2015 at 07:50 AM ----------

somehow related to overindulging on Mexican food the night before...

Oh man... That actually happened to me.

Had to leave the water, walk up the beach, then drive around town in my wet wetsuit looking for a public restroom - except it was "off-season." The rest of my IDC group meanwhile waiting in the surf....

To me I would say a BADASS diver would be . A diver that has his trim nailed , can hold a stop in any condition with minimal to no movement .Has strong fining skills. Uses the right kick at right time a BADASS Diver would add back into the DIVE INDUSTRY . . He would share all his knowledge and skills/ tricks with other new divers , He would dive with any level diver . I guess in shot a diver that has his sh!t together and does not act like he is better than any one even if he is

I agree with this. Anyone who thinks of himself as "badass," by my definition, cannot be badass. Only a diver who, despite all of the above, believes there is still more he can learn and perfect, could be considered badass.

navy_seal_combat_divers_by_calvinscustom-d6o373b.jpg

I am am just a recreational diver...I stand humbly before true "Badass Divers".

Those men are beyond BADASS, they are in a class by themselves. In fact they set the standards for their class.

We owe them a lot going back to the navy combat swimmers of WWII, the Great Grandfathers of the SEALs.

According to the Are dry gloves kosher? thread, some divers apparently are "badass". I started wondering, what makes a dive - or a diver - diver "badass"? Long dives? Deep dives? Cold water? Poor viz? Currents? Feel free to suggest, discuss and elaborate.

(Yes, a bit of tongue in cheek here :) )

Please don't use the word "ass" in the same post as the phrase "tongue in cheek" ever again... it really screws with the "inappropriate workplace content" filters here at the office.

:D

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2015 at 08:16 AM ----------

Badass divers shore dive badass sites like this one, sometimes solo.

View attachment 207222

Meh... looks like the spot where we conduct DSD's here in NJ. :shocked2:

Please don't use the word "ass" in the same post as the phrase "tongue in cheek" ever again... it really screws with the "inappropriate workplace content" filters here at the office.

:D
I guess they'd flag s n i g g e r and n i g g a r d l y as hate speech, too? :cool2:

If I were to take the question seriously, I would say that a badass diver is one who is ambitious, determined, prudent, and utterly competent.

If I were to take it less seriously, I would say a badass diver is someone with 50 dives, a good grasp of jargon and all the right shiny bits hanging off their kit...
Hm. Two out of four (determined and prudent) on the first, two out of three (>50 dives and a good grasp of jargon) on the second. I guess I qualify :D I've actually been told that DS diving in single-digit (C) water temps is "bada$$" (happy now, RJP? :wink: ), which means that a pudgy, middle-aged sissy like me is bada$$...

Jokes (somewhat) aside, I guess the best definition is "someone who's doing dives which are outside my comfort zone" :)

Any 5 ' zip female diver over age 50 who swaggers around in backmount doubles & stages that out weigh her.

Along with SEALs, Army Special Forces combat divers are badass dudes. That course is no joke.

Any guy that can get away with diving on his 12 year anniversary and come home to a well cooked steak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom