What would you like in the ultimate dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK,
I'm trying to get a feel for what YOU, a diver, would like to see, or NOT to see, in your local dive shop. What would you consider the ultimate dive shop to frequent?
Here's some of what I'd like to see and what I don't like.

Cleanliness: Training and service areas must be neat and tidy. A bench with junk piled a mile high doesn't give me a warm feeling about leaving my regulators for service. And boxes and junk piled in the training area don't do much for me either. I think a neat and clean training area is important and shows a level of professionalism. Needs to have some modern technology as well. Same goes for the bathroom. If I'm grossed out as a guy what would the lady customers think?

Store policies posted and adhered to: Don't change policies and prices on the fly. You have to be upfront on this stuff right away. If you charge $20.00 for pool time one week you can't make it $40.00 another week just because you don't have a class to offset the price. Better yet, a pool "in shop" would be the way to go. You would just have to offset the cost of maintenace, insurance etc. with classes and then be able to offer free pool time for club members, testing new purchases etc.

Internet: OK we all know about the LDS versus Internet saga. No need to rehash it here. What about a shop that has a section for dealer purchases, regs, BC's and service and another "Internet" section separate from the "dealer" section? In the Internet section you offer items you are able to sell over the Internet without dealer price restrictions (price fixing). In other words you have your Internet website and the store section is just your "wharehouse" of those items. Customers can can come in and pick them up, browse them from an in store terminal etc. Just like some of the other "grey marketers" out there are doing. You're upfront about the policies and give the customer a choice. Other stores are already doing this in some way. Can the 2 sales channels co-exist in store?

A "real" dive club. Just a club for divers to get together, mingle, share photos. Maybe a website tied to the store, (a url) for the club and members get club email addresses etc. Mailing lists, setup local dive trips and just charge a small fee to offset any store costs? Free lunches or dinners every now and then for club members.

Training: What have you seen that you don't like? Would you be willing to pay more for quality training? I mean, more time spent on you to help with problems versus getting "slammed" through OW? Would you like to see specially designed classes to help you become the divers that we all envy? You know, streamlined, confident, excellent buoyancy control?

Just some of my thoughts.

A sales team that is friendly and doesn't talk trash about the other LDS's in the same area. This is always a key to me that the LDS has issues.

Cheap nitrox banked and ready to go. Preferably self serve with outside access for after hours use!

I would just like informed employees. My favorite LDS just hired on a few new people who are completely clueless. I'm not even sure they dive. Makes the simplest things like fills a big pain in the rear.

I would like to see fill station with long wips so you can back a car up to it and dont have to remove the tanks

Kona 100% brew, and divers in cute outfits.

and a good repair bench, like riverrat said. Confidence inspiring. In fact, just clean up those dive shops, in general pretty please. sweep, take out the trash, the basics.

Camera "station" would be nice. How about some healthy snacks for sale to take on the boat?

A bar, like Bottom Time for post dive beer.

Showers, hot as long as you are asking.

gear lines I would like...for starters

SP
Henderson
Halcyon
Suunto

Local dive trips. Our local shop goes out of the country 6 times a year but don't do local trips. OK so we're in Ohio and the water is cold and most of their instructors (not all) don't seem to like cold water diving--that doesn't mean there isn't any interest. We have a new shop in town (associated with another shop actually) and he's mentioned possibly putting together some local trips to quarries--good for him! Heck he has never even been to Gilboa, the premier training site in our area. I told him I'd be happy to show him around if he wants to go up sometime. I'm just glad to see his thinking is in the right place.

Listen to your customers when they say something they bought that you don't carry is "really cool." Hubby and I bought these cool marker lights at Our World Underwater, I love them and was telling the guy at the shop about them. What did he do? Said, "I think I just saw some of those in the catalog." Pulls out the catalog, finds them and puts them on his list of things to order; I almost fell over. Talk about listening to your customers! He's only been open a few months but I think he's on the right track.
Ber :lilbunny:

You need comfy chairs with the good coffee and Cabana Boys to fetch a refill. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom