what wetsuit for easily cold people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllyS

New
Reaction score
is there anyone else like me (underweight) who gets cold very easily? what thickness wetsuit do you typically wear for what water temperature?
my last dive in cozumel, mexico i layered 2 rental shorties on top of each other and was OK. not sure what thickness they were.
i'm headed to the dive shop soon but I wanted to get a jump start w/ some info.

I always where a 4/3 surf suit when I dive in tropical waters. Both for protection and warmth on multiple dives. I also have a neoprene cap and thermal rash guards to add as need be.
Cold to temperate waters, I dive dry.....

Ally,

You need to be more specific as to where you will be diving? If it's on the California coast you will need a 7mm full suit and then layer it with 7mm hooded vest that gives your core 10mm in the center and 7mm ever where else.

You also need at least 5mm in the hands and at least 6mm in feet. Since you are thin you will probably only want to do two short dives to preserve your heat.

MG

is there anyone else like me (underweight) who gets cold very easily? what thickness wetsuit do you typically wear for what water temperature?
my last dive in cozumel, mexico i layered 2 rental shorties on top of each other and was OK. not sure what thickness they were.

A drysuit is about the same price and warmer than a bunch of wetsuits.

If you're thinking of layering thick wetsuits, I'd give "dry" a serious look.

Terry

i would say water no colder than 70 deg? michigan lakes in the summer, and tropical waters when on vacation
when i say michigan lakes i do not mean the great lakes. inland lakes.

Being OK in 2 rental (2-3mm) shorties suggest you are fairly normal especially if you were making multiple dives per day on a daily basis. If you had been in a 3mm full suit, with a beanie or better yet a hooded vest I bet you would have been toasty. Your experience does not suggest to me a need for a tropical dry suit though it is certainly an option.

As for your home waters at any depth you are looking at a 7mm suit with 2X on your core. If you are hooked going straight to a drysuit for diving at home is a very real option.

Read about options here.

Pete

What water temp you trying to overcome?? You probably had 2 2mm shortie's---just a guess though.....Probably need to consider a 3 full(for CZM in the future) or something like that.....

I've never dived CZM in anything over a 2 mm shortie with a 2 mm chicken vest and skins.....but, that's just me I guess(alot here advocate up to a 5 mm full for CZM--I'd get hot flashes & am of the male variety...lol)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom