What Wet Suit Will Keep Me Warm Out of the Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
You bet. I've owned exactly one nylon out wet suit (a USD "Taskmaster" back in the early 1970s) and I'll never, ever, make that mistake again.

Interesting, I know of some skin out sources but who is doing lycra?

spectrum:
Interesting, I know of some skin out sources but who is doing lycra?
It's a problem, you used to be able to get it from Rubatex, but not any more. I would guess that you could order it from one of the Japanese rubber houses. I have a full foam dry suit that is made of Rubatex 231 with balistic nylon (like the DUI) outside and four-way-stretch Lycra on the inside, slicker than poodu to put on or take off, and the inside if damp will dry in a flash.

dannobee:
I've been cold on the surface with a 7mm wetsuit and a hooded vest. Very cold. But it was on a boat and the air temp was 50 degrees.

I'm going to disagree with some of the others here and say it won't keep you warm. Once you start to sweat with the thing on, you'll lose body heat. That's been my experience.

If wetsuits worked so well as undergarments, you'd see them on Mt. Everest, and that isn't happening.

I'd stick with something like this:

https://www.cdsportswear.com/wf_style2.htm
Trust me, I've been out on the ice in the arctic in a wet suit (well ... OK, I'm not sure I'd trust someone that dumb ... but that's another story) and if the outer surface stays dry (of is made of a material that does not wet) you can stay quite toastie, even in extreme cold and high winds.

You could angle a pair of salamander heaters back at you and get away with just the underarmor I bet. It would also have the added benefit of keeping the cape fluttering in the breeze. You do have a cape don't you?

Dive Right In Scuba:
I was wondering how long before a pic request.
go bengals!

Attachments

• modIMGP0921.jpg
    modIMGP0921.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 583
How about spraying the outside with waterproofing Teflon or Scotch Dry. Would keep the suit from soaking water in the rain.

As a wetsuit provider, we've done our share of super heros, but my strangest regquest was from a group of lovely gals from New Orleans. They wanted wetsuits in a nude color. We did the suits as closely as possible to their skin tones. One of the gals was a lady of color and we matched her skin tone. The gals got their suits and then took them to a professional spray paint artist. He sprayed on the proper female anatomy. The purpose for these suits was for these gals to ride horseback in the Madi Gra parade as Lady Godiva. I have a picture of one of the gals. If I can figure out how to scan it, I could post it......maybe not...might be considered too srated by some.
Carolyn

Scubakevdm:
You could angle a pair of salamander heaters back at you and get away with just the underarmor I bet. It would also have the added benefit of keeping the cape fluttering in the breeze. You do have a cape don't you?

I like the way you think. That might be the best suggestion yet. I see nothing that could possibly go wrong with that. Yes, I do have a cape, as you can now see from the posted pic. Although, those of you familiar with the animated film the Incredibles may remember why that is not always the best idea. I was again reminded why capes aren't always a good idea when i was riding my motorcycle to the game and the cape was dangling near the rear tire. But until I spill blood or break a bone because of it, the cape stays. and the engineering project involving salamander heaters begins!

good alternative in the $100-$200 range that he can at least get more use than just the 2-4 winter home games a year, possibly when he dives in the carribean and/or caves in the mid-west

I don't think a wetsuit is the way to go if you want dual uses. A 3 mm suit probably won't keep you warm enough at the games, whereas a 7 mm suit would be too thick for the caribbean

I used to have a Polartec fleece-lined suit, which was warm above water, even when wet. I don't know where to find them anymore and, sadly, my old one is a size or two too snug.

Liquid Fit:
As a wetsuit provider, we've done our share of super heros, but my strangest regquest was from a group of lovely gals from New Orleans. They wanted wetsuits in a nude color. We did the suits as closely as possible to their skin tones. One of the gals was a lady of color and we matched her skin tone. The gals got their suits and then took them to a professional spray paint artist. He sprayed on the proper female anatomy. The purpose for these suits was for these gals to ride horseback in the Madi Gra parade as Lady Godiva. I have a picture of one of the gals. If I can figure out how to scan it, I could post it......maybe not...might be considered too srated by some.
Carolyn
:useless:
Ok, now that you have to post!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom