What was he thinking? and Yes it is wonderful!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This Friday, July 21th, my family will be going to Bonaire with two other board members and their families - Herman and GypsyJim. As I begin to prepare for this opportunity, I could not help but reminisce back to my last trip there.

During that trip (in 2004), my group decided to dive at a northern dive site named Old Blue. When we arrived at the site, there was already a group of divers there. That group consisted of the parents and their kids. The parents appeared to be in their late 70's or early 80's and the kids in their 40's or 50's. The kids set up umbrellas and chairs with a cooler for the parents to watch the vehicles and other items while the kids dove. From our hellos and chit chat it was clear that they were from europe and probably Dutch.

We geared up and my kids had entered the water and were waiting on me while I was helping others in my group. As we were preparing to dive, the elderly gentleman asked me over to where he was. His single question to me was - How old is your youngest child. My answer to him was - my youngest child is 13 and the older child in 16.

He closed his eyes and I could tell his mind was far away in thought. After what was probably three minutes he opened his eyes and said to me - It must be wonderful to be 13 years old and be able to dive in Bonaire with your Dad!

I have always wondered where he had gone in his mind. Back to when he was 13 - Could he have been a child in europe during WWII, could he have been Hebrew, Was he thinking of my child's good fortune? I guess I will never know what he was thinking but I do know - - -

It is wonderful to be able to dive in Bonaire with your 13 year old and I am sure that it will be just as good when she is 15.

I also am thankful to God, that my children have not had to live through what so many others have had to endure (through no fault of their own throughout history).

Well so much for reminiscence - lets go diving and be thankful for the opportunity!!!

I keep hearing Bonaire is wonderful...I have never been there. Curaco too.

So fantastic to spend the time with your children and I often feel the same way...they are so insulated from the tough lives of thirteen year olds in places like North Korea, etc. When I went through Europe a couple of years ago, it was amazing how many WWII memories are still out there... Normandy, London, Paris

You should have a good time. Herman is pretty knowledgeable of Bonaire...I went with him on my first trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom