West End Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you @KatieMac for all the info! I might have him bubble watch for Dolphins Den- you're right the swim through is probably not appropriate. I am after the silversides- so any guidance is appreciated for a dive that is more geared for a beginner.

UPDATE- we've been here for 24h and I'm already looking for a new hotel. AC is meh at best, even for and island. Our hotel does not have a hallway, the sliding glass door is the only way in and out and it doesn't feel super safe. The bed has a sink hole and forget about needing towels, it's at 10min walk through trash lined streets to reception. No water, no phone. Just a bed in a room. Pool is dirty and hot.

Do not recommend staying in west end.

This island is disgusting. I've never seen so much trash. No diving can be worth it. I'm sure I'll see heaps of trash underwater judging by the amount on the beaches in west end.

Which hotel are you in?

@Ritzcat we too have stayed in places in West End and West Bay that have turned out to be - let's politely say "suboptimal". Over the years we have learned not to judge an entire community from one bad experience (applies not just to Roatan but many other places that we have visited us tourists, including quite frankly the United States...) There are wonderful places to stay in West End / West Bay / Sandy Bay / host of other communities on the island. And there are also places that are... suboptimal.

From our most recent experience on Roatan last December, including several dives that were right outside of Halfmoon Bay that West End surrounds, please do not automatically judge the diving by conditions on land (just as we often can't automatically judge what conditions are like at depth simply because the sea is choppy at the surface). West End and West Bay are part of a protected and cared for marine park, and while you will find garbage on dives from time to time (the DMs are at least as good at spotting stray empty cans of Salvavida at a distance as they are at finding far more interesting specimens for us to observe :)) it is not something that has ever taken away my enjoyment of a dive.

I really hope you get your lodging sorted and are able to enjoy your vacation on Roatan. There is no doubt that it has its flaws, but the island, its reef and its people are all very beautiful.

We moved to west bay area and are much happier. The amount of trash on the island is still gross. Did a few dives today and I just don't get the hype. Definitely lots of life and color, even with the bleaching- but does not outweigh the trash situation.

I believe sundowners is hosting a trash cleanup tomorrow....trash all in half moon bay. My son did his OW there and I spent time snorkling and cleaning up.

If you do visit, I highly recommend setting your expectations. In terms of diving & trash, I would choose the keys over roatan in a heartbeat.

The trash is pretty common in all of Central America in my experience. Of course the Keys are cleaner. I agree, you must set your expectations if you have never experienced much of Central America other than the very touristy areas. Having said that, we greatly prefer West End over West Bay. The resort feel there is not something we are looking for, we love the more local experience. We stay in West End in condos for 6 weeks or so every year for the past several years. The diving is good, the food is good. To each his own, I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom