What type of fins do use and what do you like about them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JET FINS W/ SPRING STRAPS!

...and whiskers on kittens
P-valves on dry suits and warm neoprene mittens
Blue H's on webbing, steel backplates and wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Bright shiny bolt snaps on seven-foot hoses
Black colored mask skirts with purge-valveless noses
Argon and trimix in bottles with slings

Frog kicks and fundies and J.J. and GUE
Wetnotes and slap straps and a surface marker buoy
Light heads and scooters clipped off on D-rings

When my job bites
When my wife complains
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad!

medium_sound_of_music.bmp

Do you think Fraulein Maria was a diver?

Why did I just sing that to myself?

Damn you RJP!!!!!

Ohh for fins. No need for stinkin fins. Get you one of these.
image_medium.jpg

Last edited:
Blades. Good propulsion and don't tire my legs or ankles using a modified frog kick.

I have a pair of Oceanic V6 split Full Foot fins for snorkeling. I have a pair of V-16s for SCUBA diving

I have four sets of fins, of three types.

I have ScubaPro Jet fins (two pairs). One pair lives in Mexico and goes cave diving with me. The other lives in Seattle and has been my mainstay fins. Jets are heavy (which is nice for dry suit divers, and people diving doubles). They are thick and stiff, and make precise positioning easy. Unfortunately, the foot pockets in Jets are peculiar -- a foot pocket than fits my feet in my dry suit gives me a very small blade, and therefore less power. I have to kick a lot more often than my buddies, which causes fatigue.

My other set of cold water (and cool water cave) fins is a set of the Dive Rite paddle fins. They are plastic, and light, which is a downside. But they have more than two inches more paddle than the Jets that fit the same footgear do, so I have a lot more power. I have problems with the back kick in them -- I think more experience will sort it out.

I have a set of Deep See Pulse fins for pool work with students. They are plastic, and light, which is why I use them there. I tried using them for a warm water trip, and hated how flexible they were -- I lost a lot of the energy of the kick into fin flexion. But they are inexpensive, and great in the pool.

I owned a set of ScubaPro TwinJets. They went away. I had to use a set several years later, because I had nothing that would fit a new dry suit's footgear, and I was vividly reminded of why the earlier set had gone away.

Hollis F1's. I like that they are stiff, and can give me a lot of power when I want it, yet allow subtle movements when desired. The built in spring straps are great as well.

OMS Slipstreams. similar design to the Jets, but lighter, which works out better for me. Stiff and very easy to do back kicks, helicopter turns, etc.

Mares Volo "Race" full foot fins.
$60 on sale.
They are racing fins, so I can swim really fast because my fins say so.
I have yet to actually have a race in them with anyone to this point, clearly because I intimidate everyone else and nobody has challenged me.
They are lightweight and fit extremely well.
I used to used Mares Quattro's but my feet grew and they got to where they were way too tight.
I used to use open heeled fins, and for drift dives from boats they are still great, but for soft sand beach dives I like the power return with the Volo's.

Evo 1mm Neoprene socks.
$15
They make my Racing fins fit better, protect me from shark attack, and keep my feeties warm.
I am allergic to rubber composites touching my skin, the fins burn like fire if I do not have an insulator of some sort.

Chug
Lifted this off another old post.

in before Nova haters.

I use Scubapro Seawing Novas.

What I like: bungie strap > spring straps. I think they look sweet, especially underwater. Comfort is the best I've tried. Oh and the best part: THEY ARE FASTTTTTT. Cheaper than other high end fins

My wife and I both started with Jets and then changed to TUSA Tri-EX for trim reasons. We were both foot-heavy, and the TUSA fins fixed that. They fit well and seem to move us through the water with minimal effort.

Back
Top Bottom